Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel formula

I'm trying to create an auto-count feature for a points system. 1st = 6
points, 2nd = 4 points, 3rd = 3, 4th=2, 5th=1. The points will all be in a
single row that could span 40 columns. Some cell may have points, some may
not. Any idea of a formula that I could put in the total field that would
calculate every result?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Aug 6, 2:42*pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I'm trying to create an auto-count feature for a points system. *1st = 6
points, 2nd = 4 points, 3rd = 3, 4th=2, 5th=1. *The points will all be in a
single row that could span 40 columns. *Some cell may have points, some may
not. *Any idea of a formula that I could put in the total field that would
calculate every result?

SUM function works, or do you want Coutn as stated.
CountA? .Column.Count?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I'll have to put an IF statement in there somewhere. For example, if
the person gets 1st place, they get 6 points, 2nd place is 4 points, etc.
This strategy is the same for every cell in the row.

"Simon" wrote:

On Aug 6, 2:42 pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I'm trying to create an auto-count feature for a points system. 1st = 6
points, 2nd = 4 points, 3rd = 3, 4th=2, 5th=1. The points will all be in a
single row that could span 40 columns. Some cell may have points, some may
not. Any idea of a formula that I could put in the total field that would
calculate every result?

SUM function works, or do you want Coutn as stated.
CountA? .Column.Count?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Aug 6, 3:04*pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I think I'll have to put an IF statement in there somewhere. *For example, if
the person gets 1st place, they get 6 points, 2nd place is 4 points, etc. *
This strategy is the same for every cell in the row.

"Simon" wrote:
On Aug 6, 2:42 pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I'm trying to create an auto-count feature for a points system. *1st = 6
points, 2nd = 4 points, 3rd = 3, 4th=2, 5th=1. *The points will all be in a
single row that could span 40 columns. *Some cell may have points, some may
not. *Any idea of a formula that I could put in the total field that would
calculate every result?

SUM function works, or do you want Coutn as stated.
CountA? *.Column.Count?- Hide quoted text -

Thats correct, depends if you want to show that.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I guess I'm looking for some assistance writing the formula. I know I'll
have to say that IF C5="1st", then add 6,OR IF C5=2nd, then add 4, etc. I
just don't know how to put it all together accurately.

"Simon" wrote:

On Aug 6, 3:04 pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I think I'll have to put an IF statement in there somewhere. For example, if
the person gets 1st place, they get 6 points, 2nd place is 4 points, etc.
This strategy is the same for every cell in the row.

"Simon" wrote:
On Aug 6, 2:42 pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I'm trying to create an auto-count feature for a points system. 1st = 6
points, 2nd = 4 points, 3rd = 3, 4th=2, 5th=1. The points will all be in a
single row that could span 40 columns. Some cell may have points, some may
not. Any idea of a formula that I could put in the total field that would
calculate every result?

SUM function works, or do you want Coutn as stated.
CountA? .Column.Count?- Hide quoted text -

Thats correct, depends if you want to show that.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Aug 6, 4:16*pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I guess I'm looking for some assistance writing the formula. *I know I'll
have to say that IF C5="1st", then add 6,OR IF C5=2nd, then add 4, etc. *I
just don't know how to put it all together accurately.

"Simon" wrote:
On Aug 6, 3:04 pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I think I'll have to put an IF statement in there somewhere. *For example, if
the person gets 1st place, they get 6 points, 2nd place is 4 points, etc. *
This strategy is the same for every cell in the row.

"Simon" wrote:
On Aug 6, 2:42 pm, Dean Schmaus
wrote:
I'm trying to create an auto-count feature for a points system. *1st = 6
points, 2nd = 4 points, 3rd = 3, 4th=2, 5th=1. *The points will all be in a
single row that could span 40 columns. *Some cell may have points, some may
not. *Any idea of a formula that I could put in the total field that would
calculate every result?

SUM function works, or do you want Coutn as stated.
CountA? *.Column.Count?- Hide quoted text -

Thats correct, depends if you want to show that.- Hide quoted text -

Oh I see what you mean, yes that would be fin, possibly conditional
format or Vlookup. Can you only use one like?

=IF(A1=1, 6, "")

This means, if A1 = 6 (6 points for coming 1st, a 6 is displayed
otherwise nothing, is this what you are after?).

You're on the wrong board though mate , this is using code with Visual
Basic.