Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hiding / locking access to VBA code

I have a spreadsheet which relies heavily on VBA code. I want to hide access
to my proprietary code from users.

Is there a way to password protect access to the VBA ?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Roger
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can protect it under Tools - VBA Project properties. I don't believe
I've heard of a way to break this password, so if you forget it, you're toast!
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Roger on Excel" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet which relies heavily on VBA code. I want to hide access
to my proprietary code from users.

Is there a way to password protect access to the VBA ?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Barb

From John McGimpsey's site...........................

In principle, VBA Project protection (applied by choosing Tools/Project
Properties in the VBE, checking the Lock Project for Viewing checkbox and
entering a password) is also more robust than worksheet/workbook protection.
Unfortunately, while the technique is not well known, VBA Project protection
can be bypassed easily with a hex editor. Commercial services also are able
to remove such protection in a heartbeat.

As with file protection, a hex editor can also lay bare your VBA macros.
Macro keywords are tokenized, so it's not directly human-readable, but it's
often easy to figure out program flow, look at constants, etc.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP