Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JerryS

Default Locking and Hiding Columns

I have a spreadsheet that I need to share without the user being able to
unhide certain columns yet still have the ability to enter data in the other
fields. Any suggestions? Thanks
--
JerryS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rob

Have you tried Locking all the the cells except those cells you want to
allow user input,
then hide the columns and protect the sheet with a password?

Rob

"JerryS" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I need to share without the user being able to
unhide certain columns yet still have the ability to enter data in the
other
fields. Any suggestions? Thanks
--
JerryS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Put your data in your two columns (say E and H).

Select all the cells on the worksheet.
Format all the cells as locked
(format|cells|Protection tab|Check Locked)

Select the cells that you want the users to enter data--don't include
formulas/headers/descriptions that they shouldn't touch.

Format|cells|Protection Tab|uncheck Locked

Now hide the columns you want to hide.
Select column E and Column H.
Format|column Hide

Now protect the worksheet.
tools|protection|protect sheet
use a memorable password.

Be aware that worksheet protection is easily broken.

If that info in your two columns shouldn't be seen by the user under any
circumstance, don't do this in excel. It's protection is made for this.
Excel's protection is a nice way to stop formulas from being crushed in
error--not to protect intellectual property.