Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default multiple rows need distinct value and adjacent row

Hi, I'm new to the power of excel and need to compare a row of data to find
its unique value and keep it with the adjacent row. Here is what I have:
Feature DID
7775552323 7775332121
7775552323 7775332121
5556385698 5552229822
4445289639 4442229822
8884561289 7775339822

I need to find the unique value in the Feature column and keep the adjacent
DID column data...is this possible? And could you try and explain it simply?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tell us what YOU think the results should be in the examples you've given.
That will help us understand what you are trying to do.
I suggest you re-post as a new question.
--
Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"VoicQn" wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the power of excel and need to compare a row of data to find
its unique value and keep it with the adjacent row. Here is what I have:
Feature DID
7775552323 7775332121
7775552323 7775332121
5556385698 5552229822
4445289639 4442229822
8884561289 7775339822

I need to find the unique value in the Feature column and keep the adjacent
DID column data...is this possible? And could you try and explain it simply?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oops, sorry about that.

I would expect to see:

Feature DID
7775552323 7775332121
5556385698 5552229822
4445289639 4442229822
8884561289 7775339822

the duplicate entry of 7775552323 has been eliminated, and the second column
DID stayed with 7775552323.

--
Respectfully,
VoicQn

"VoicQn" wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the power of excel and need to compare a row of data to find
its unique value and keep it with the adjacent row. Here is what I have:
Feature DID
7775552323 7775332121
7775552323 7775332121
5556385698 5552229822
4445289639 4442229822
8884561289 7775339822

I need to find the unique value in the Feature column and keep the adjacent
DID column data...is this possible? And could you try and explain it simply?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A couple of different ways come to mind.
I would create a column of unique 'Feature' values and then use a vlookup to
a capture the 'DID' for each 'Feature'.

Assume 'Feature' is in Col A and 'DID' is in Col B.

From the top menu (assuming Excel 2003 or lower), select...
Data Filter Advanced Filter

Action: Copy to another location
List Range: Highlight Col A
Check 'Unique Records Only'
Copy to: Select Cell D1
Select 'OK'

Assuming the description 'Feature' is now in Cell D1...
In Cell E1, put the description 'DID'
In Cell E2, enter the vlookup formula...
=VLOOKUP(D2,A:B,2,FALSE)
Copy this formula down.