Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default limiting number of uses

I have a program I am going to send for review. My question is how can I set
up the workbook to not allow access after a certain number of times the
program is opened or how can i limit the number of days the program can be
accessed?
Thanks for you help
Glenn
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
XP XP is offline

In this forum I'm likely to be spanked on this reply, but I think there are
only superficial ways to do this. By superficial I mean that no matter what
you come up with it can probably be hacked and easily circumvented.

If all you need is a superficial way of telling a user that their input is
no longer desired there are probably a lot of ways to accomplish this. You
could store a number in a hidden worksheet that is incremented on open. The
code could then use this as a check digit and if it is greater than your
limit then display a message and exit.

You could also store information in a custom document property and retrieve
it to compare a drop dead date or again a counter of some sort.

HTH

"Glenn" wrote:

I have a program I am going to send for review. My question is how can I set
up the workbook to not allow access after a certain number of times the
program is opened or how can i limit the number of days the program can be
accessed?
Thanks for you help
Glenn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have in the past seen an excel probram that in a few days or times the
program is run that you have to pay to us the program or it will not open. I
am a novice at this...thanks for you help

"Glenn" wrote:

I have a program I am going to send for review. My question is how can I set
up the workbook to not allow access after a certain number of times the
program is opened or how can i limit the number of days the program can be
accessed?
Thanks for you help
Glenn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CB CB is offline

In a similar fashion I just want to count the number of times a file is
opened. Can you give me a little more direction on the command to
"increment" when the file is opened? Thank you

"Glenn" wrote:

I have a program I am going to send for review. My question is how can I set
up the workbook to not allow access after a certain number of times the
program is opened or how can i limit the number of days the program can be
accessed?
Thanks for you help
Glenn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CB

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
With Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")
If .Value = "" Then
.Value = 1
Else
.Value = .Value + 1
End If
End With
End Sub

Copy/paste into Thisworkbook module.............edit sheetanme and range to
suit.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Glenn" wrote:

I have a program I am going to send for review. My question is how can I set
up the workbook to not allow access after a certain number of times the
program is opened or how can i limit the number of days the program can be
accessed?
Thanks for you help
Glenn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See Chip Pearson's site for "timebombing" a workbook.

Quite involved so being a novice could pose some problems implementing Chip's
code and is never foolproof.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/workbooktimebomb.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP