Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How To Disable The File, Print... And The Print Button Functions

Hi Gang

Sorry to ask this again but the posts I see assume that I know a lot
about Excel programming. Can someone please explain to me like I'm 3
how to do this?

Thanks
Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It can't be explained to someone who is 3. It would be like teaching calculus
to someone who is 3. It is not a simple thing to do and if things go wrong
you need to understand what they system is doing in order to fix it.

If you are trying to disable printing in a specific workbook you can catch
the print event and cancel the print at that time along with a message to
that effect. That being said any solution that we give you is easliy defeated
by not enabling macro's or such...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Andy" wrote:

Hi Gang

Sorry to ask this again but the posts I see assume that I know a lot
about Excel programming. Can someone please explain to me like I'm 3
how to do this?

Thanks
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim

It was a figure of speech being 3. I meant can you please explain
step by step how to disable the print menu function and button. Could
you do this for me as I have a spreadsheet with a custom print
button? I don't want the users to use the normal print function.

Regards,
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Andy

Assuming your custom print button runs a macro that prints only what you have
specified in that macro.............

Call that macro in a beforeprint event and it won't matter which button users
hit to print.

Call theprintmacro
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:06:01 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Hi Jim

It was a figure of speech being 3. I meant can you please explain
step by step how to disable the print menu function and button. Could
you do this for me as I have a spreadsheet with a custom print
button? I don't want the users to use the normal print function.

Regards,
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you'd want excel's print routine to not do any work, too:

Cancel = True
Call theprintmacro
End Sub

wrote:

Hi Jim

It was a figure of speech being 3. I meant can you please explain
step by step how to disable the print menu function and button. Could
you do this for me as I have a spreadsheet with a custom print
button? I don't want the users to use the normal print function.

Regards,
Andy

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is a variation of Gord's suggestion:

Create/record a macro that does the printing the way you like. Then drop a
button from the Forms toolbar onto the worksheet. Assign your macro to that
button.

Then in the ThisWorkbook module, stop any printing:

cancel = true
Msgbox "Please click the button to print"
End Sub

=======
I'm not sure what your custom print macro will do, but you'll want to tell excel
not to its own printing.

This changes a footer and prints the sheet:

Option Explicit
Sub CustomPrintMacro()
With Worksheets("sheet999")
With .PageSetup
.LeftFooter = Format(Date, "mmmm dd, yyyy")
End With
Application.EnableEvents = False 'stop excel from trying to print!
.PrintOut
Application.EnableEvents = True
End With
End Sub

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

Andy wrote:

Hi Jim

It was a figure of speech being 3. I meant can you please explain
step by step how to disable the print menu function and button. Could
you do this for me as I have a spreadsheet with a custom print
button? I don't want the users to use the normal print function.

Regards,
Andy

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for chipping in Dave.

My effort was pretty basic but I should have thought of the Cancel = True

Gord