Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default setting up excel program for a swimming meet

I would like to know how I can set up a formula so I can place an event
number into a cell and the event name would then pop up in a cell next to it.
For ex. if I want a 8 and under boy to swim the 25 free, I want to put event
number "14" and it would then fill in all the event "25 freestyle 8under
boys"? How do I set up the table so i have all 78 events each tied to a
number?
--
twindolphin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The first column would have the integers 1 through 78 in it. The second
column would have the corresponding events in it.

Let's say that the range is e3:f80; that would be 78 rows by two columns.
Let's say further that you'll enter the number in cell a2, and you want the
text to appear in cell b2. The formula in cell b2 is
=VLOOKUP($A2,$E$3:$F$80,2,FALSE). The fourth argument (FALSE) is, strictly
speaking, not necessary, and the dollar signs are necessary only if you want
to copy the formula to other places.

Good luck!

Jim