Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
XP XP is offline

Default Date formula to return two digit year

I'm trying to perfect a formula that produces a two digit year from another
cell that contains a full date, for example:

Y12 contains the following formatted as a date: 07-10-2008

In Y13 my formula is: =TEXT(YEAR(Y12),"##")

No matter what I try I get: 2008 as a result rather than the intended: 08

I'm sure it is obvious, but can someone please assist. Thanks much in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ignore this response.

I didn't notice the year() portion.

Dave Peterson wrote:

=TEXT(YEAR(Y12),"YY")

XP wrote:

I'm trying to perfect a formula that produces a two digit year from another
cell that contains a full date, for example:

Y12 contains the following formatted as a date: 07-10-2008

In Y13 my formula is: =TEXT(YEAR(Y12),"##")

No matter what I try I get: 2008 as a result rather than the intended: 08

I'm sure it is obvious, but can someone please assist. Thanks much in advance!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
XP XP is offline

Yeah, thanks.

It was a case of my adding too much! When I remove the "Year" portion, it
works.

Thanks again.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Would =TEXT(Y12,"yy") work for you?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:11:03 -0700, XP wrote:

I'm trying to perfect a formula that produces a two digit year from another
cell that contains a full date, for example:

Y12 contains the following formatted as a date: 07-10-2008

In Y13 my formula is: =TEXT(YEAR(Y12),"##")

No matter what I try I get: 2008 as a result rather than the intended: 08

I'm sure it is obvious, but can someone please assist. Thanks much in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have your answer (several times now), but I just wanted to mention that
when you use a # or 0 symbol in the integer part of a string pattern, that
does *not* restrict the number of digits in the integer part of the number
being processed, it only differentiates whether leading zeroes will be
printed or not. This is different from the decimal part of a floating point
number where the number of # or 0 symbols in the string pattern does
truncate (actually, round) the number of decimal places printed out. So,
whether you used "#", "##", "###", etc. in the integer part of the pattern
string, you would always have gotten 2008 printed out. As the other
allow you to restrict the part of the date printed out.

Rick