Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Halt / Stop processing when a user selects Cancel

Hi,

I have a routine that sends a group of emails based on a user action.

The user is presented with a Form that reports on the progress of sending
those emails...

I want to be able to give the user the option to Halt / Stop the sending of
those emails at anytime.

I have already tried a number of methods to get this working, but although I
am able to stop the actual processing the send mail routine in the back
ground continues to process.

The problem I think is that when the "Cancel" button is clicked it takes
control from the background process that has been called to send the mail....

Is there anyway I am able to stope background processing in Excel when this
cancel button is called.....and in addition to continue that processing in
the same place if the user elects to continue

I don't know if this is too confusing for anyone to help...but it would be
appreciated

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is just for ideas, it's unlikely you'd want to do it quite like this
(put two buttons on a form) -

Private mbDoStuff As Boolean

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ' cancel button

If mbDoStuff Then
If MsgBox("Abort", vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
mbDoStuff = False

If Not mbDoStuff Then Unload Me

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
Dim d As Double, dev As Long
mbDoStuff = True

dev = -1
Do While d < 123456 And mbDoStuff
d = Range("A1").Value
d = d + 1
Range("A1").Value = d
Me.Caption = d

If d dev Then
DoEvents
dev = dev + 100
'aim to allow a DoEvents say every 0.1 to 0.5 sec's
' but not in every "quick" loop
End If
Loop

MsgBox d
End Sub

Generally aim to allow a DoEvents say every 0.1 to 0.5 seconds. No need to
check in every loop unless each loop involves a lengthy process, like
sending emails.

Regards,
Peter T

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nigel,

Yes that's what I am trying to do....but I have found that when the
Pause/Continue button is pressed it takes control of the form logic from the
SendMail routine that is underway....how can I return control of the logic to
that process ?

Scott

"Nigel" wrote:

I would use a function to mail one address at a time, then after each call
you can intercept the main calling program. I would not use 'Cancel' to
pause the process, 'Pause/Continue' would be better, that requires some
extra logic to store the current progress and resume at the last completed
mailing.

Hope this helps

Nigel