Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Store code outside the workbook, is it possible?

Is it possible to store a module (maybe export it and keep it in a specific
location), then 'call' it from the workbook. So it would be like having a
text file in a folder on your c drive and then instgructing the code to copy
the string and use it as a string variable in the code and run it from
within another sub.

e.g.

Sub GetOutsideCode

Dim sCode As String

sCode = TextFileInSpecifiedFolder.Contents

Call sCode

End sub

or some such thing. I know it used to be possible to get values from a
closed workbook using GetValue with excel 2003, don't know if it's still
available in 2007 (anyone know?) but it strikes me that if it is and my idea
above won't work, then storing the code in cells in a workbook should
produce the same end result.

One of my reasons for wanting to do this is that in order to protect
intellectual property in an excel workbook it could be possible to have the
file containing the code in the specified folder and then kill it at a
specified interval unless a passwrod was entered before that interval. Bit
of a whacky idea maybe but it should work well enough for the audience i
have in mind.

Thanks and regards, Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The best way is probably to include it, but use VB protection not just
workbook protection.
Have a userform pop up everytime they open it if they have not entered a
password, something like

Dim showForm as Boolean

showForm=True

on load event
If showForm=True then
form1.show
end if

Then you can either put a counter that increments everytime they click the
ok button without putting in the code, once it hits a limit it will no longer
be enabled without the code, or set the button to disable if there is no
valid code.

on form load

If myCounter3 then form1.commandbutton1.enabled=false

on for button click

If form1.textbox1.text <"Password" then
myCounter=myCounter+1
end if

hope that gets you started

--
-John
is helpful.

"Mark Stephens" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mark

I think the safest way to do this is to save your code in an addin file
(xla) and run it from another workbook like this:

Sub Tester()
Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = Workbooks.Open("C:\Temp\Test.xla", ReadOnly:=True)
DoEvents
Application.Run (wb.Name & "!Macro1")
DoEvents
wb.Saved = True
wb.Close
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Mark Stephens" skrev i melding
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For code protection I think the best way is to move your code to VB6, so to
an ActiveX dll file.
You will need to buy VB6, but it is very simple to move code over and there
are other benefits
in using VB6 as well.

RBS