Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default UDF Naming

I've been able to make Excel forget a name like ABC in my example by
creating a real name ABC and then deleting any formulas that contain it and
then deleting my real ABC. Saving the workbook and restarting Excel between
the last couple steps. I think you'll also see the name looking at the file
with a hex editor. I think you could change the case of ABC with a hex
editor too and that should stick. Hopefully the name is unique so you're
sure you are editing the right place in the file and not some label ABC.

It's easiest to get the name right from the beginning.<g.

--
Jim
"Arun" wrote in message
| Wow, I can't believe that's how it works... but you're right,
|
| Is there anywhere I can go to see the list of defined names or modify
them?
| How about clearing one out?
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| Is it a requirement that all UDF's appear completely in lower case?
|
| No it is not. However, the way you enter the name the FIRST time is the
way
| Excel will remember it in that workbook from then on. This has nothing
| do with being the name of a UDF. When you type a name Excel doesn't
know it
| creates a "name" and remembers its case.
|
| New workbook.
| Type ="ABC()
| In another cell type =abc()
| Excel converts the second to =ABC()
|
| Start with a lower case name and Excel works the reverse way.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Arun" wrote in message
| | This seems to be a nit-picky question, but I need it to make my
worksheet
| | more readable.
| |
| | How do I get the capital/lowercase sequence of my UDF name to carry
over
| | my worksheet? For example, I defined a function name as
SearchItems(),
| | however when I type it into my worksheet it shows up as searchitems().
Is