Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MSE MSE is offline

Default Acronym Macro

I am trying to create a Macro linked to an Excel button from the forms
toolbar in cell N1 of Sheet 1. I would like it to perform the following
steps.

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

2. Sort all the contents of rows A through L based on the acronyms AAAA,
BBBB, CCCC, DDDD, & EEEE and group the AAAA with the AAAA, the BBBB with the
BBBB, and so on. (The acronyms are located in Column F rows F2 through F30).

3. Create and name a new worksheet for all the AAAA, BBBB, CCCC, DDDD, &
EEEE.

4. Paste all the contents of rows A through L containing AAAA in Sheet
AAAA, all the contents of the rows A through L containing BBBB in Sheet BBBB,
all the contents of rows A through L containing CCCC in Sheet CCCC, and so
on.
Do you have any ideas about how I might make that happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

1. *Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub Sort_Acronyms()

With Sheets("sheet1")
Set ShortSht = Worksheets.Add(after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count))
ShortSht.Name = "Sort Data"
.Range("A2:L30").Copy Destination:=ShortSht.Range("A1")
End With
With ShortSht
.Range("A1:L29").Sort _
Key1:=Range("F1"), _
Header:=xlNo

RowCount = 1
FirstRow = RowCount
Do While RowCount <= 30
If .Range("F" & RowCount) < .Range("F" & (RowCount + 1)) Then
Set NewSht = Worksheets.Add(after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count))
NewSht.Name = .Range("F" & RowCount)
.Rows(FirstRow & ":" & RowCount).Copy _
Destination:=NewSht.Rows(1)
FirstRow = RowCount + 1
End If
RowCount = RowCount + 1
Loop
End With

End Sub

"ytayta555" wrote:

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MSE MSE is offline

Copy the entire contents of rows 2 through 30 columns A through L in Sheet 1
from Sheet 1 using an Excel button from the forms toolbar in Cell N1 on Sheet
1. I want to have the results appear in new worksheets. Does that make my
question clearer? If not please be sure to let me know. Thank you for your
help.

"ytayta555" wrote:

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MSE MSE is offline

Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure what is happening. The first
time I click the Excel button from the forms toolbar I linked to the Macro it
jumps to the Visual Basic Editor and says "Compile error, expected end sub"
if I go back to the worksheet and click the Excel button again it jumps to
the VBE again and says "Can't execute code in break mode". Do you have any
thoughts?

"ytayta555" wrote:

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Make sure you copied the entire macro from SUB.... to End Sub. You can
check for compiler errors ( I just did with the posted code and there aren't
any) by going to VBA Debug menu and selecting Compile. The code stoped when
it found an error. You can get out of the Break Mode by going to VBA Run
menu and selecting Reset.

"ytayta555" wrote:

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MSE MSE is offline

I made sure to copy the entire macro from SUB... to End Sub. I checked for
compiler errors by going to VBA Debug menu and selecting Compile. A message
came up that said "Compile error: Expected End Sub" do you have any thoughts
about why I might get that message? Also, I followed the suggestion to get
out of Break Mode by going to VBA Run menu and selecting Reset, however I am
getting the same messages I mentioned earlier, i.e. "Compile error, expected
end sub"
and "Can't execute code in break mode" when I try to use the Excel button,
do you have any other thoughts about what else might be causing the error?

"ytayta555" wrote:

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MSE MSE is offline

When the message came up that said "Compile error: Expected End Sub" I had
the option to select OK or Help. I choose help and got the following
message.... (Perhaps it might bring clarity to my question).

You enter break mode when you suspend execution of code. This error has the
following causes and solutions:
€¢ You tried to run code from the Macro dialog box. However, Visual Basic was
already running code, although the code was suspended in break mode.
You may have entered break mode without knowing it, for example, if a syntax
error or run-time error occurred. Continue running the suspended code, or
terminate its execution before you run code from the Macro dialog box. You
can fix the error and choose Continue, or you can return to the Macro dialog
box and restart the macro.
For additional information, select the item in question and press F1 (in
Windows) or HELP (on the Macintosh).

"ytayta555" wrote:

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is the code again. Make sure yu have everything between the lines. Try
opening a new workbook and adding the code just to verify the code is good.
It is possible if you have other macro in the workbook that the other macros
are causing the error.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''
[...]

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''

"ytayta555" wrote:

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MSE MSE is offline

I think I see what the problem is but I am not sure how to fix it. I have 2
Subs in the first two lines of the code (once I add the Excel button from the
forms toolbar.) I posted an example below to give you a better idea of what
I mean. When I click the Excel button, in addition to the message boxes I
told you have been popping up, Sub Button 1_Click() becomes yellow. A yellow
arrow also appears pointing next to it. I am using Excel 2003, just in case
that makes a difference.

Sub Button1_Click()

"ytayta555" wrote:

1. Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from A2 to L30.

Copy the entire contents of rows in Sheet 1 from which Sheet ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you need to do this

from

Sub Button1_Click()
Sub Sort_Acronyms()

With Sheets("sheet1")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
MSE MSE is offline

Sorry for any communication errors on my part. It works now! I am so
grateful for your help and patience. This Macro is amazing. Thank you!

"Joel" wrote:

I think you need to do this

from

Sub Button1_Click()
Sub Sort_Acronyms()

With Sheets("sheet1")
.
. '<the rest of your code
.
end Sub

This fix will allow you to run the macro from button 1 or from the Menu Tool
- Macro - Sort_Acronyms

Sub Button1_Click()
call Sort_Acronyms
end sib
Sub Sort_Acronyms()

With Sheets("sheet1")
.
. '<the rest of your code
.
end Sub

Or you can just get rid of the "Sub Sort_Acronyms()" statement a call the
function from the Button. You didn't dpecify originally that you were trying
to run the code from a button. Sorry.