Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default blank space

I am adding three columns and placing the sum in one column. If I have not
enter the information into the columns yet, the sum space is entering a zero.
How can I get it to stay blank until there is numbers placed in the three
columns to add the sum.

I hope this makes sense.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=IF((SUM(A1:C7))=0," ",(SUM(A1:C7)))

insert your own cell addresses. if nothing is in that range, the cell
containing the formula will be blank.
hope this helps
susan

On Jun 3, 1:41*pm, Smilen2day
wrote:
I am adding three columns and placing the sum in one column. *If I have not
enter the information into the columns yet, the sum space is entering a zero.
*How can I get it to stay blank until there is numbers placed in the three
columns to add the sum.

I hope this makes sense.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just a note: it's good habit not to put a space between the quote marks. In
other words, use an empty string so as not to actually put a space character,
CHAR(32), into the cell.

=IF(SUM(A1:A7)=0,"",SUM(A1:A7))

wrote:
I am adding three columns and placing the sum in one column. If I have not
enter the information into the columns yet, the sum space is entering a zero.
How can I get it to stay blank until there is numbers placed in the three
columns to add the sum.

I hope this makes sense.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, that helped a lot .. thanks so much.

Ok, when I did that it messed up my other formula attached to that column.

Column F has the amounts that I want to total in column G. So, I put this
formula (which works)
=IF(SUM(F32:F34)=0,"",SUM(F32:F34))

Then in column i, I want to take the total sum from G and subtract 616.67
and if it is a negative amount it will go in column i and I want this hidden
until there is an amount in column G (this one is working fine) so, here is
the formula for column i:
=IF(G35="","",IF(G35-616.67<0,G35-616.67,""))

However, in column J is where, if the sum is subtracted by 616.71 and if it
is a positive number the difference will go in this column (column J).
However, this one was working until I entered the new formula you suggested.
So, here is what the formula was for column J:
=IF(G35-616.67=0,G35-616.67,"")

It shows #VALUE in the box for column J.

So do you know how to fix this?

I hope this is not confusing, this is turning out to be a complicated
worksheet. LOL