Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Stopping screens from flashing using Screenupdating

Hi,

In the Worksheet_deactivate event of Master worksheet, I activate the
Input worksheet. The Input worksheet_activate event then runs a macro
to form a pivot table in Table worksheet and use the values in the
Table worksheet to write a report in the Report worksheet.

When I deactivate Master worksheet all this happens, but there is
rapid flashing of various worksheets before the final output sheet
appears. I have tried using Screenupdating = false at various points.
How exactly do I use this Application property to avoid screens
flashing? Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Raj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Public Sub main()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Main Code goes between the two states.

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

That's how I generally Use it and it works.

"Raj" wrote:

Hi,

In the Worksheet_deactivate event of Master worksheet, I activate the
Input worksheet. The Input worksheet_activate event then runs a macro
to form a pivot table in Table worksheet and use the values in the
Table worksheet to write a report in the Report worksheet.

When I deactivate Master worksheet all this happens, but there is
rapid flashing of various worksheets before the final output sheet
appears. I have tried using Screenupdating = false at various points.
How exactly do I use this Application property to avoid screens
flashing? Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Raj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I have used the false, code, true combination in all subs. The screens
still keep flashing. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Raj

"Raj" wrote:
Hi,

In the Worksheet_deactivate event of Master worksheet, I activate the
Input worksheet. The Input worksheet_activate event then runs a macro
to form a pivot table in Table worksheet and use the values in the
Table worksheet to write a report in the Report worksheet.

When I deactivate Master worksheet all this happens, but there is
rapid flashing of various worksheets before the final output sheet
appears. I have tried using Screenupdating = false at various points.
How exactly do I use this Application property to avoid screens
flashing? Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Raj- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you doing something like the following?

Sub Main
Application.ScreenUpdating = false
Call DoSomething
Application.ScreenUpdating = true
End Sub

Sub DoSomething
Application.ScreenUpdating = false

'Do something else

Application.ScreenUpdating = true
End Sub

You wouldn't need those extra Screenupdating calls in DoSomething, as
DoSomething sub is already being called while ScreenUpdating = false.

Unsure if this will fix your problem though, I'm sorry I can't help you any
futher. If I think of anything I'll make sure to jump back and let you know,
but apart from asking to see your code nothing much else I can do.

"Raj" wrote:
Hi,

In the Worksheet_deactivate event of Master worksheet, I activate the
Input worksheet. The Input worksheet_activate event then runs a macro
to form a pivot table in Table worksheet and use the values in the
Table worksheet to write a report in the Report worksheet.

When I deactivate Master worksheet all this happens, but there is
rapid flashing of various worksheets before the final output sheet
appears. I have tried using Screenupdating = false at various points.
How exactly do I use this Application property to avoid screens
flashing? Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Raj- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The way I handle this is with a flag:

Sub Main()
Application.ScreenUpdating = false
Call DoSomething
Application.ScreenUpdating = true
End Sub

Sub DoSomething()
' declare flag
Dim bScreenUpdating As Boolean

' set flag
bScreenUpdating = Application.ScreenUpdating

Application.ScreenUpdating = false

'Do something else

' use flag setting
Application.ScreenUpdating = bScreenUpdating
End Sub

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP