Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default defined error

Of a virus problem I had to reinstall my windows xp and office xp.
And I faced this highlighted error
" Application defined or object defined error "
No need to add this was a smoothly working vba code before.

Worksheets("compare1").Range("a2:iv10000").ClearCo ntents

Any idea ? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 31 Maj, 21:45, wrote:
Of a virus problem I had to reinstall my windows xp and office xp.
And I faced this highlighted error
" Application defined or object defined error "
No need to add this was a smoothly working vba code before.

Worksheets("compare1").Range("a2:iv10000").ClearCo ntents

Any idea ? Thank you.

Hi

Nothing wrong with the statement.

Does the worksheet "compare1" exists in the active workbook?

regards,
Per
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes Per, it exists.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the VBA editor, select Tools, References. If you have a reference to the
Microsoft Office Object Library, uncheck it if you can. Then see if the
module will compile. If you get undefined variables for vb constants,
replace them with their numeric values.

Robert Flanagan
Macro Systems
http://www.add-ins.com

wrote in message
Of a virus problem I had to reinstall my windows xp and office xp.
And I faced this highlighted error
" Application defined or object defined error "
No need to add this was a smoothly working vba code before.

Worksheets("compare1").Range("a2:iv10000").ClearCo ntents

Any idea ? Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you get undefined variables for vb constants,
replace them with their numeric values.

Thank you Bob.
That is exactly what happened. How disturbing it is.
But why I never had such error before i don't understand.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Worksheets("compare1").Range("a2:iv10000").ClearCo ntents
this is not good

Worksheets("compare1").Range("a2:IV10000").ClearCo ntents
this is good

Took my 2 days to find out a solution to
" Application defined or object defined error " . God !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jun 2, 8:51*pm, Dave Peterson wrote:
Your problem may have gone away, but this was not the solution.

VBA doesn't care if your range address was in upper/lower/mixed case.

Hi Dave

But I didn't have any problem at all in the first place.
It was like finding your donkey after loosing.
I'd be so pleased if I know what the problem was.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've had some problems with .clearcontents when the area contained merged cells.
Any chance?

Hi Dave

Upon further examinations on other files I decided that
I have a problem with letter " i ". Funny but true.
Again on below code same error msg appeared.

With Worksheets("costtabletour3").Range("g2:i1000").Val idation

I have twice reinstalled xp' but no avail.
Only few days ago I had no such problem but now I am changing all "i"s
to " I ".

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jun 3, 2:30*pm, Dave Peterson wrote:
And if you build a small test workbook and have just enough stuff to be able to
test, does it work ok (with the lowercase i)???

Hi Dave
Yes, I have built a fresh test workbook.
Any range addressed with " i " rather than " I " triggers that error
message.
Other letters have no difficulty lowercase or not.

Thanks