Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Preventing change of a cell value

Hi,

Value in column A determines values in other cells in the same row.
I want the user to be warned before changing the value in column A
that the contents of the row will be deleted as values in other cells
depend on the value in column A. I am using the worksheet change event
for this. Unfortunately, this works only after the value in Column A
is changed. The code I am using in the worksheet change event is:
If Inputsheet.Cells(Selection.Row, 9) < "". Then etc.

Here column 9 is selected as the value in column 9 is derived through
a series of changes in the intervening columns: all decided by the
value in column 1(A).

Any help on how to prevent change to cell in column A before changing
the value will be welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Raj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Raj,

In the worksheet's code module replace
your existing Workshhet_Change code
with the following version:

'==========
Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_Change( _
ByVal Target As Range)
Dim Rng As Range
Dim rcell As Range
Const sCol As String = "I:I" '\\ Column 9
Const sMsg As String = _
"Your Alert message" '<<==== CHANGE

Set Rng = Intersect(Me.Range(sCol), Target)

If Not Rng Is Nothing Then
With Rng
If Rng.Count Application.CountA(.Cells) Then
With Application
.EnableEvents = False
.Undo
.EnableEvents = True
MsgBox Prompt:=sMsg, Buttons:=vbCritical
End With
End If
End With
'<<==========
---
Regards.
Norman

"Raj" wrote in message

Value in column A determines values in other cells in the same row.
I want the user to be warned before changing the value in column A
that the contents of the row will be deleted as values in other cells
depend on the value in column A. I am using the worksheet change event
for this. Unfortunately, this works only after the value in Column A
is changed. The code I am using in the worksheet change event is:
If Inputsheet.Cells(Selection.Row, 9) < "". Then etc.

Here column 9 is selected as the value in column 9 is derived through
a series of changes in the intervening columns: all decided by the
value in column 1(A).

Any help on how to prevent change to cell in column A before changing
the value will be welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Raj

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Give the following worksheet Change event code try (the user will be asked
if he/she really wants to change the value and, if the answer is no, the
original value for the cell will be restored)...

Dim Answer As Long
If Target.Column = 1 Then
On Error GoTo Done
Application.EnableEvents = False
Answer = MsgBox("Changing this value will delete other values " & _
"in this row." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Did you " & _
"want to still change the cell's value?", vbYesNo)
If Answer = vbNo Then Application.Undo
Else
'
' Your non-Column "A" change event code, if any, goes here
'
End If
Done:
Application.EnableEvents = True