Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2007 VBA versus excel 2003

Hi all,

I am returning to programming after a few years I was pretty proficient in
excel 2003 and when I finished I was aware that 2003 code often didn't run
in 2007 for some trivial reasons (rounded corners didn't work I recall). Can
anyone give me an opinion on the ease with which someone who knows 2003 can
transfer to 2007 is it a walk in the park or a real pain or somewehre in
between?

Kind regards, Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mark,

From the standpoint of VBA, you should have
very little difficulty making the transition as any
changes are relatively minor:

- the previously problematic FileSearch has
been dropped

- dealing with shapes requires care(see Ron
de Bruin at:

Shapes and VBA code in Excel 2007
http://www.rondebruin.nl/shape.htm

- Toolbar customisation changes with the advent
of the Ribbon - see Ron de Bruin at:

Change the ribbon in Excel 2007
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm

- Graphics handling is reportedly very slow -
perform a Google search for: graphics 2007

Any transition to Excel 2007 does, however,
does involve a learning curve for Excel's GUI.

Personally, I have experienced little difficulty in
making the change, but that is not a universal
experience.

---
Regards.
Norman
"Mark Stephens" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am returning to programming after a few years I was pretty proficient in
excel 2003 and when I finished I was aware that 2003 code often didn't run
in 2007 for some trivial reasons (rounded corners didn't work I recall).
Can anyone give me an opinion on the ease with which someone who knows
2003 can transfer to 2007 is it a walk in the park or a real pain or
somewehre in between?

Kind regards, Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For the most part, code written in 2003 and earlier works fine in 2007.
There are some intentionally deprecated objects, and some small changes
which I presume are more likely unintentional. You have to test all of your
existing code against 2007, and debugging it is the same process you had to
follow in 2003. Where I have found the most issues is in charting
(understandably, since this is where 75% of my programming is done) and in
the new shape objects, whose object model thus far defies comprehension.
Most of these inconsistencies are trivial; they will nonetheless cause your
code to halt.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Mark Stephens" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am returning to programming after a few years I was pretty proficient in
excel 2003 and when I finished I was aware that 2003 code often didn't run
in 2007 for some trivial reasons (rounded corners didn't work I recall).
Can anyone give me an opinion on the ease with which someone who knows
2003 can transfer to 2007 is it a walk in the park or a real pain or
somewehre in between?

Kind regards, Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Norman,

A big thank you that is very helpful (especially the pointers to links that
deal with potential sticky arreas) thanks again, kind regards, mark

"Norman Jones" wrote in message
Hi Mark,

From the standpoint of VBA, you should have
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mark,

A big thank you that is very helpful (especially the pointers to links
that deal with potential sticky arreas)

You are very welcome!

I see from another thread that you have
already encountered one of the Shape