Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default database connection dsn vs. odc

Hello all,

using Excel '03.

A question on database connection:

I use Excel to import data from an Oracle database. I've setup two
connections to the database server -- a .dsn connection and a .odc
connection. E.g., (SERVERNAME.dsn), (SERVERNAME.odc)

I'm inquiring if anyone knows the main difference between the two;
e.g., speed, performance, etc.

I established both connections with Access (I've never been able to do
it with just Excel).

Both connections use a Microsoft ODBC driver.

Thanks for any response.
alex
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Wed, 28 May 2008 05:16:38 -0700 (PDT), alex wrote:

Hello all,

using Excel '03.

A question on database connection:

I use Excel to import data from an Oracle database. I've setup two
connections to the database server -- a .dsn connection and a .odc
connection. E.g., (SERVERNAME.dsn), (SERVERNAME.odc)

I'm inquiring if anyone knows the main difference between the two;
e.g., speed, performance, etc.

I established both connections with Access (I've never been able to do
it with just Excel).

Both connections use a Microsoft ODBC driver.

Alex: I don't know the answer, but I suspect that if they both use ODBC
then they have exactly the same performance. If you didn't know odc =
office database connection. I didn't see anything on the web discussing why
MS even created this instead of just using DSN.

If you're having peformance problems, you might consider using OLE, which
replaced ODBC. I don't know if it's faster, but it would be worth a try.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof..._db/index.html
http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/adooledb/#oracle
--
Dick Kusleika
Microsoft MVP-Excel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof...ooledb/#oracle
--
Dick Kusleika
Microsoft MVP-Excelhttp://www.dailydoseofexcel.com- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Dick,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide a response.

alex