Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How can just opening & closing a workbook prompt the Save? dialog?

I have an Excel 2002 autoexec workbook which starts automatically when
Excel launches, sets some defaults, then closes its own workbook
again.

It neither reads nor writes to the worksheet, or does anything else to
change the workbook in any way that would prompt the "Save your
changes?" dialog on exit. It just sets some Tools / Options defaults
and exits. It's run for years without incident.

But recently I tweaked it and somehow got it into a state in which the
Save dialog was appearing on close.

To debug it, I moved it out of \XLSTART so that I could load it
manually. I commented the code down so that ALL THE MACRO DID was
close its own workbook without doing anything else. The Save dialog
STILL appeared.

So, after a couple of days of pulling my hair out, I threw in the
towel and saved the workbook as it requested, and the dialog no longer
appears.

Anyone have a notion of what was happening?

Thanks.

***
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

P.S. I spoke too soon. The dialog has come back, and it still appears
every time I run the macro, even running it manually, and even
executing nothing except simply closing again.

Thanks.

***
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

P.P.S. I think I spoke even too sooner.

I don't think it has to do with the macro at all.

The macro is Sub Auto_Open, so it executes automatically on load.

I changed its name and don't run the macro at all any more.

On loading the workbook then File / Close, I get the Save dialog. So
is there something in the sheet itself that somehow dynamically
changes upon loading?

Answer: There may be. There is a formula in cell A1. I gotta debug it.

Guess y'all can ignore this thread 'til I find out how the hell I'm
shooting myself in the foot.

***
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Aaagggghh!

My fault. I commented out my formula and that stopped the Save dialog.

So it's programmer recreational drug use--again.

***

But do I have a suspicion that Excel 2002 flags the Save condition
differently than previous versions? Because I think I've used that
formula for some years without incident.

***
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 26 Maj, 21:25, wrote:
P.P.S. I think I spoke even too sooner.

I don't think it has to do with the macro at all.

The macro is Sub Auto_Open, so it executes automatically on load.

I changed its name and don't run the macro at all any more.

On loading the workbook then File / Close, I get the Save dialog. So
is there something in the sheet itself that somehow dynamically
changes upon loading?

Answer: There may be. There is a formula in cell A1. I gotta debug it.

Guess y'all can ignore this thread 'til I find out how the hell I'm
shooting myself in the foot.

***

Hi

If the value in the formula in A1 changes, then excel will always
prompt to save the workbook.

To avoid this, you can use a workbook_beforeClose event like below:

ThisWorkbook.Saved = True

Per