Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Checkbox works in one window but not another

Good afternoon --
I've designed a workbook to have checkboxes on two worksheets. Then, I
wrote a macro to open the workbook in two tiled windows (so that reference
info stays visible in one window when the other scrolls as the user adds more
info).

My problem -- the checkboxes on Sheet 1 work fine, but the checkboxes on
Sheet2 don't. They only work when I switch to the other window and go that
same sheet Whoda thunk?

Very simple code. If the box is checked, place a value in a particular
cell. But the box is unresponsive on one (active) window and, when I make
the other window active and go to that sheet, it works just fine. Any idea
what might be happening here?

TIA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, I figured out part of the problem. You cannot have two checkboxes with
the same name active at the same time. Excel would not even show the
property windows for the second checkbox in my setup, which had a checkbox1
on sheet one and a checkbox1 on sheet two.

So, I changed the name of the one on sheet two and sure enough, then it
would fire. However, It seemed to fire three consecutive times on one of the
sheets while the other one operated as expected. I am not sure what effect
that would have on any code being run since the final effect is the same on
the third iteration as it is on the first, but I would like to understand why
it is doing that.

The reason I know it fires three times on sheet two is that I have a message
box in the click event to let me know that the code did execute and I have to
click the OK button three times before it passes control back to the user.
Odd.

At least now you know why the other checkbos didn't fire.

"pdberger" wrote:

Good afternoon --
I've designed a workbook to have checkboxes on two worksheets. Then, I
wrote a macro to open the workbook in two tiled windows (so that reference
info stays visible in one window when the other scrolls as the user adds more
info).

My problem -- the checkboxes on Sheet 1 work fine, but the checkboxes on
Sheet2 don't. They only work when I switch to the other window and go that
same sheet Whoda thunk?

Very simple code. If the box is checked, place a value in a particular
cell. But the box is unresponsive on one (active) window and, when I make
the other window active and go to that sheet, it works just fine. Any idea
what might be happening here?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave --

I wish I could freeze the panes. It's a time card, and the various users
want to see hours per day, per client, etc., etc., etc. so if I showed all
that and froze the panel, there wouldn't be any lines showing as they
scrolled down.

Bummer about the "feature/bug". Thanks for the info, so I don't beat myself
up trying to solve it.

pdberger wrote:

Good afternoon --
I've designed a workbook to have checkboxes on two worksheets. Then, I
wrote a macro to open the workbook in two tiled windows (so that reference
info stays visible in one window when the other scrolls as the user adds more
info).

My problem -- the checkboxes on Sheet 1 work fine, but the checkboxes on
Sheet2 don't. They only work when I switch to the other window and go that
same sheet Whoda thunk?

Very simple code. If the box is checked, place a value in a particular
cell. But the box is unresponsive on one (active) window and, when I make
the other window active and go to that sheet, it works just fine. Any idea
what might be happening here?

TIA

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe you could replace the checkboxes from the Control toolbox toolbar with
checkboxes from the Forms toolbar.

You'll have to fiddle with the code, but the controls from the Forms toolbar may
work.