Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default UserForm specs

Hello all,

using excel '03

I have a userform that initializes several values in both comboboxes
and textboxes.

In one of those textboxes, I would like today() (in yyyymmdd format)
to be the default value.

Can I do this and how?

thanks,
alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 19, 7:33*am, Incidental wrote:
Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Private Sub UserForm_Activate()
Dim aryValues As Variant

aryValues = Range("A1:A20")
Me.ComboBox1.List = aryValues

---
HTH

Bob

"alex" wrote in message
On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:
Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"alex" wrote in message

On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. *While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? *I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Thanks again Bob...I'd like to not reference anything on the
worksheet. I'm assuming I can still set up some kind of array.
aryValues = ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes you can, you can even do it directly

Private Sub UserForm_Activate()
Me.ComboBox1.List = Array("Bob", "Alex", "Jim", "Noel", "Pete")

---
HTH

Bob

"alex" wrote in message
On May 19, 8:25 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
Private Sub UserForm_Activate()
Dim aryValues As Variant

aryValues = Range("A1:A20")
Me.ComboBox1.List = aryValues

---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"alex" wrote in message

On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Thanks again Bob...I'd like to not reference anything on the
worksheet. I'm assuming I can still set up some kind of array.
aryValues = ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In addition to the Array function method Bob posted, there is this
alternative (which, if you are like me and hate typing multiple quote marks
if you can help it) you might want to consider...

Private Sub UserForm_Activate()
ComboBox1.List = Split("Item 1,Item 2,Item 3,Item 4,Item 5", ",")
End Sub

where you can use any delimiter character you want so long as it is not in
any of the items in the list.

Rick

"alex" wrote in message

On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Thanks again Bob...I'd like to not reference anything on the
worksheet. I'm assuming I can still set up some kind of array.
aryValues = ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good point, they must be the most annoying character on the keyboard.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"alex" wrote in message

On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Thanks again Bob...I'd like to not reference anything on the
worksheet. I'm assuming I can still set up some kind of array.
aryValues = ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 19, 2:08*pm, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
Good point, they must be the most annoying character on the keyboard.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
. ..

"alex" wrote in message

On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Thanks again Bob...I'd like to not reference anything on the
worksheet. *I'm assuming I can still set up some kind of array.
aryValues = ?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob and Rick. Your help is most appreciated.
alex

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tell me about it. I've been touch-typing for many, many years now and, when
not looking at the keyboard, I still tend to overshoot the quote mark key
for the Enter key more often than not. The odds that I would have been able
to touch-type the Array function assignment statement you posted, short as
it was, without missing the quote mark key at least once is nearly nil.

Rick

"alex" wrote in message

On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Thanks again Bob...I'd like to not reference anything on the
worksheet. I'm assuming I can still set up some kind of array.
aryValues = ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That is not my problem. On UK keyboards the " is above the 2 on the top line
numbers. I am a very bad typist, and trying to get the right hand second
finger on the shift key , and the left hand second finger on the 2 is
problematical for me, most other shifts I drive from my left hand. And there
are so many of them.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Tell me about it. I've been touch-typing for many, many years now and,
when not looking at the keyboard, I still tend to overshoot the quote mark
key for the Enter key more often than not. The odds that I would have been
able to touch-type the Array function assignment statement you posted,
short as it was, without missing the quote mark key at least once is
nearly nil.

Rick

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Good point, they must be the most annoying character on the keyboard.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote
in message ...

"alex" wrote in message

On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Thanks again Bob...I'd like to not reference anything on the
worksheet. I'm assuming I can still set up some kind of array.
aryValues = ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That is interesting... it never occurred to me that "English" keyboards
would be laid out differently. Just out of curiosity, where is the @ symbol
(what is in the Shift+2 key on my keyboard)?

"alex" wrote in message

On May 19, 7:33 am, Incidental wrote:

Hi Alex

The code below would be one way to do it.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

TextBox1.Value = Format(Now, "YYYY - MM - DD")

End Sub

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Bob and Steve; it worked perfectly. While I've got your
attention...Do you know the best way to add a list to a combobox? I'm
currently using .AddItem, but with a long list, it's a bit tedious.

thanks again,
alex

Thanks again Bob...I'd like to not reference anything on the
worksheet. I'm assuming I can still set up some kind of array.
aryValues = ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick,

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboar...UK_and_Ireland

---
Regards.
Norman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Norm (I should have realized wikipedia would have an article on
this). The interesting thing is the letter layout is QWERTY and, while most
of the non-letters are located in the same position, not all of them are.
There are extra keys on the UK keyboard (compared to the US keyboard) next
to the apostrophe key and the Z key and one key missing next to the closing
square bracket key (it is the key that is next to the Z key).

Rick