Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Selection/Filtering Question

I have a worksheet where the data is laid out as in Worksheet 1,
below--I have data values (SomeValue) for county locations that
changes every hour. I want to populate a second worksheet that has
the data selected by specific date and hour, and matching it to the
its location.

This would typically be a trivial matter by filtering on the specific
columns, but the purpose of the second worksheet is to populate a
powerpoint presentation with this data--I would create a powerpoint
for 1/15/08, Hour 2, save it off, create another powerpoint
presentation for 1/15/08, Hour 7, save it off, etc etc.

Examining this issue, vlookup is similar to what I am looking for--
select cell a4 based on a match with cell a2, but I am looking to
match SomeValue based on cells a2, b2, and c2. I just need to filter
my data--can I send it to a second worksheet? If I can filter the
data in place, and then use that data in the powerpoint presentation,
that would solve my issue, but the cell where the location is would be
different for each day and hour filtered on.

Worksheet 1
County Loc. Date Hour SomeValue
Location 1 1/15/08 2 xxx
Location 2 1/15/08 2 yyy

Location 1 2/18/08 2 aaa
Location 2 2/18/08 2 bbb

Location 1 1/15/08 7 ccc
Location 2 1/15/08 7 ddd

Location 1 2/18/08 7 eee
Location 2 2/18/08 7 fff

Worksheet 2
County Loc. Date Hour SomeValue
Location 1
Location 2

If I need to clarify myself, please let me know, and thanks in advance
for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've got 2 options, either of which might be sutible

1) use Vlookup, using a cell to store the vlue you wish to match by;

2) Use a pivot table, setting hours as a page field as well as a data field

"Clyde" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Clyde" wrote:
[...]

Steve--
Thanks much--that is what I was looking for--the pivot table will give
me what I need--have a good one!

Clyde