Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Checkboxes with the same Group Name not Responding

I have 4 Checkboxes in a UserForm. I have given all 4 Checkboxes the
GroupName = "Shipping" in the Properties Window in the VBA Editor. We I Show
the UserForm and click on one Checkbox the others do not turn off, why?

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's the way checkboxes work.

Maybe you meant to use OptionButtons -- they'll only allow one option to be
chosen in each group.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can make a check box look like an option button by deselecting the other
boxes when one comes true

Private Sub CheckBox2_Click()
if checkbox2 = true then
checkbox1 = false
checkbox 3 = false
end if
End Sub

RyanH wrote:

I have 4 Checkboxes in a UserForm. I have given all 4 Checkboxes the
GroupName = "Shipping" in the Properties Window in the VBA Editor. We I Show
the UserForm and click on one Checkbox the others do not turn off, why?

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I could use option buttons, but I would prefer the look of the checkboxes.
The help section says the GroupName Property supports option buttons, but why
does the GroupName property show up in the Properties window of the VBE? Am
I wrong about the possiblity of the checkboxes acting like option buttons?

Ryan

RyanH wrote:

I have 4 Checkboxes in a UserForm. I have given all 4 Checkboxes the
GroupName = "Shipping" in the Properties Window in the VBA Editor. We I Show
the UserForm and click on one Checkbox the others do not turn off, why?

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to add to what Joel wrote...

It's not always what the developer thinks looks nice. As a user, I would expect
checkboxes to be independent of each other -- and grouped optionbuttons to be
mutually exclusive.

If the developer doesn't follow those rules, it can be more confusing to the
user.

RyanH wrote:

I have 4 Checkboxes in a UserForm. I have given all 4 Checkboxes the
GroupName = "Shipping" in the Properties Window in the VBA Editor. We I Show
the UserForm and click on one Checkbox the others do not turn off, why?

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I wouldn't want to clutter my userforms with stuff like that.

I wouldn't want to use Tools|Options and see instructions on each tab explaining
how checkboxes should be used.

I wouldn't expect most users to read these kinds of instructions, either.