Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Pulling Data from one sheet and grouping it on another

This is basically taking a checkbook register and dumping it into budget
categories on a different sheet.

If I have 5 Checkbook entries on sheet 1:

GAS $60.00
Groceries $150.00
GAS $75.00
Clothes $35.00
Groceries $47.00

I want to group all of the entries by category on sheet 2 to appear like this:

GAS for the Month of April 2008
TOTAL $135.00 (Sum of the "GAS" Entries from Sheet 1)

Groceries for the Month of April 2008
TOTAL $197.00 (Sum of the "Grocery" entries from Sheet 1)

Clothing for the Month of April 2008
TOTAL $35.00 (SUM of the Clothing entries from Sheet 1)

How would I go about doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi T,

Consider using Excel's Pivot Table tool.

If you are not familiar with pivot tables,
see Debra Dalglish's tutorials on her
Contextures site:

Excel Tips and Techniques
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Look for 'Pivot Table' in the alphabetic index.

Also see Jon Peltier at:

Using Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts in Microsoft Excel

Additionally, see Microsoft at:
http://office.microsoft.com/it-it/ex...346331040.aspx

and , for Excel 2007:
http://office.microsoft.com/it-it/ex...ivot&av=ZXL120