-   -   Pulling Data from one sheet and grouping it on another (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/410331-pulling-data-one-sheet-grouping-another.html)

tmadeira

Pulling Data from one sheet and grouping it on another

This is basically taking a checkbook register and dumping it into budget
categories on a different sheet.

If I have 5 Checkbook entries on sheet 1:

GAS $60.00
Groceries $150.00
GAS $75.00
Clothes $35.00
Groceries $47.00

I want to group all of the entries by category on sheet 2 to appear like this:

GAS for the Month of April 2008
TOTAL $135.00 (Sum of the "GAS" Entries from Sheet 1)

Groceries for the Month of April 2008
TOTAL $197.00 (Sum of the "Grocery" entries from Sheet 1)

Clothing for the Month of April 2008
TOTAL $35.00 (SUM of the Clothing entries from Sheet 1)

How would I go about doing this?

Norman Jones[_2_]

Pulling Data from one sheet and grouping it on another

Hi T,

Consider using Excel's Pivot Table tool.

If you are not familiar with pivot tables,
see Debra Dalglish's tutorials on her
Contextures site:

Excel Tips and Techniques
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Look for 'Pivot Table' in the alphabetic index.

Also see Jon Peltier at:

Using Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts in Microsoft Excel

Additionally, see Microsoft at:
http://office.microsoft.com/it-it/ex...346331040.aspx

and , for Excel 2007:
http://office.microsoft.com/it-it/ex...ivot&av=ZXL120