Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default copy and sort data then past in specific area on new sheet

I am a newby to excel

I have a work book with three pages: spending tracker, category, and
spend_catogory

there are ten items listed on the category page with range ( A5:A14) this is
just a list to populate a drop down list on the spending trackersheet

the spending tracker has 5 col as follows:

A4 B4 C4 D4 E4
date payee/transactions category amount spent ballance

this sheet is used to track spending in one long list

I want to copy this data to stationary tables on the spend-cat sheet. These
tables are category For example all grocery payments would go to the grocery
table.

The table would look like this

C6 D6 E6 F6
Date Payee/Transaction Amount Spent Ballance

it will be fifteen rows long

There is a second table on the side of teh first for another category. This
table is placed four colums to the side of the first. to the bottom of these
tables are another row of two tables (each a different category,) This
format continues until there is a matrix of five tables long by two wide.

Can anyone help me with the code to get the long list of data to sort the
rows into the ten tables based upon the entery's category.

Pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Take a look at using a pivot table to create the category table views, this
in itself might meet your needs?

One observation -how do you know the category tables will be 15 rows long?
It appears that your data definition allows for many more.

Nigel

"Burton" wrote in message
I am a newby to excel

I have a work book with three pages: spending tracker, category, and
spend_catogory

there are ten items listed on the category page with range ( A5:A14) this
is
just a list to populate a drop down list on the spending trackersheet

the spending tracker has 5 col as follows:

A4 B4 C4 D4
E4
date payee/transactions category amount spent ballance

this sheet is used to track spending in one long list

I want to copy this data to stationary tables on the spend-cat sheet.
These
tables are category For example all grocery payments would go to the
grocery
table.

The table would look like this

C6 D6 E6 F6
Date Payee/Transaction Amount Spent Ballance

it will be fifteen rows long

There is a second table on the side of teh first for another category.
This
table is placed four colums to the side of the first. to the bottom of
these
tables are another row of two tables (each a different category,) This
format continues until there is a matrix of five tables long by two wide.

Can anyone help me with the code to get the long list of data to sort the
rows into the ten tables based upon the entery's category.

Pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok maybe I didn't make my self clear so I will try again
I am making a workbook to track my spending

this work book is comprised of four sheets
"sheet1" is used to enter raw data as money is spent
"sheet2" is a category sheet used to populate a drop down menu in the
category column in "sheet1"
sheet three is a sheet that is dynamically updated by caegory when data is
typed into sheet 1
"sheet4" is a monthly budget sheet

for example on sheet one I have the following columns. Lets say that I have
purchased a bottle of oil from Ricks Auto. I would enter the data in sheet 1.

Ballance as of 1/1/2008
$300.00
Date Transaction Category Amount Spent
Balance
1/23/2008 Ricks Auto Auto $1.50
$298.50

After I enter this transaction I press a button and the computer looks at
this row and sorts this transaction out as a transaction in the "Auto"
category it copies the data and places it in a preformated table on sheet
three. Sheet three is set up something like this

Categoty: auto

Forcasted Amount To Spend $120
Date Transaction Amount Spent Ballance
1/23/2008 Ricks Auto $1.50 $118.50

The Forcasted Amount is brought in from "sheet4"

These tables are set up for each category and will either be set up only
when a button is pressed.

I am rather new to programming excel and would like some pointers in the
right direction. I've taken a look at pivot tables, but can't seem to get
them to form in the fromat that I want. Is there any one out there that can
point me in the right direction to making this sheet work. Thnakyou in
advance.

Burton