Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formula Help

Hi Folks,

I use a spreadsheet to calculate cost of a project which includes commission
rate and profit.
The commission is a percentage of the sell price (COST+TAX+MARK-UP). But the
sell price
includes a mark-up of the commission. See Attached

(COST+TAX+MARK-UP+COMMISION+MARK-UP=SELL PRICE).

1. I have a problem with a circular reference. I¹ve changed the ³Limitation²
to 1 but the
excel XLS file does not always remember this preference so I have to re-set
it. This spread
sheet is used by about 15 people who may not have the patience and
understanding to
fix this problem. I need the spread sheet to be stable and reliable.

2.The total sell price changes every time I click SAVE even though the cells
have not
been altered. Also, If I had a sell price then I zeroed out all the costs,
there is still figures
in the totals cell even though there are no figures cells. There should be
0.00.

Also, if I keep pressing SAVE the figures change each time for about 5-7
clicks then
it stays the same or finalizes itself.

There¹s a ghost in the machine.

John Chavez
Los Angeles, CA

Mac OS 10.5/MacBook Pro/Mac Office 2008

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Formulas with Cirr Refs can work but it is a risky situation.
I have found that that type of problem is better done with a Solver model
that avoids cirr refs.
If you a have some familiarity with Solver, send me private eamil and I will
return an sample file. The example is staff bonus is % of post-tax profit but
the bonus cost is tax deductable.
best wishes
--
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"John Chavez" wrote:

Hi Folks,

I use a spreadsheet to calculate cost of a project which includes commission
rate and profit.
The commission is a percentage of the sell price (COST+TAX+MARK-UP). But the
sell price
includes a mark-up of the commission. See Attached

(COST+TAX+MARK-UP+COMMISION+MARK-UP=SELL PRICE).

1. I have a problem with a circular reference. IĀ¹ve changed the Ā³LimitationĀ²
to 1 but the
excel XLS file does not always remember this preference so I have to re-set
it. This spread
sheet is used by about 15 people who may not have the patience and
understanding to
fix this problem. I need the spread sheet to be stable and reliable.

2.The total sell price changes every time I click SAVE even though the cells
have not
been altered. Also, If I had a sell price then I zeroed out all the costs,
there is still figures
in the totals cell even though there are no figures cells. There should be
0.00.

Also, if I keep pressing SAVE the figures change each time for about 5-7
clicks then
it stays the same or finalizes itself.

ThereĀ¹s a ghost in the machine.