Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Inputing information from one worksheet to another

In the last month, I feel I've gotten pretty good with Excel. But that's
only using one worksheet. I need to import Data from one worksheet to
another. Here's what I want to do. I want to go to one of the Cells on
Sheet 1 and type in a name, we'll say Jerry, for example. When I type in
Jerry, I want that to trigger all the cells in that row to input certain
information. Let's say the boxes are titled: last name, email, telephone #,
and office. On sheet 2 I already have everyone's info. Is there a way to do
this? I hope this isn't to confusing. Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

In generally that's quite easy to do but without seening dour data layout
it's difficult to be too helpful but lets try,

Assume you type Jerry in A1 you could have this formula in B1, C1 etc

=IF(A1<"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:D19,2,FALSE),"")
=IF(A1<"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:D19,3,FALSE),"")

As soon as A1 has something in this will look at a table on Sheet 2 in the
cells A1 - D19 (you can change that). It will look for Jerry in column A of
that table and if it finds ot return the value from column 2 which would be a
piece of information relating to Jerry. Change the 2 to a 3 and you get
column 3 returned etc.

Mike

"Coug4482" wrote:

In the last month, I feel I've gotten pretty good with Excel. But that's
only using one worksheet. I need to import Data from one worksheet to
another. Here's what I want to do. I want to go to one of the Cells on
Sheet 1 and type in a name, we'll say Jerry, for example. When I type in
Jerry, I want that to trigger all the cells in that row to input certain
information. Let's say the boxes are titled: last name, email, telephone #,
and office. On sheet 2 I already have everyone's info. Is there a way to do
this? I hope this isn't to confusing. Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can upload a copy here

http://www.savefile.com/

and post the link

Mike

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi,

In generally that's quite easy to do but without seening dour data layout
it's difficult to be too helpful but lets try,

Assume you type Jerry in A1 you could have this formula in B1, C1 etc

=IF(A1<"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:D19,2,FALSE),"")
=IF(A1<"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:D19,3,FALSE),"")

As soon as A1 has something in this will look at a table on Sheet 2 in the
cells A1 - D19 (you can change that). It will look for Jerry in column A of
that table and if it finds ot return the value from column 2 which would be a
piece of information relating to Jerry. Change the 2 to a 3 and you get
column 3 returned etc.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

http://www.savefile.com/files/1505487

This is an example and a small piece, but the only part I'm having problems
with, now. I actrually have a few more cells, but I think if you can show me
how to do it, then I can modify it. Thanks