Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cell doesn't change if another cell is Y, otherwise make it = a thirdcell

Hi,

I hope this can be done.

There are 84 'budget' cells with formulas based on totals in 'other'
cells from other worksheets. There are 84 similar 'actual' cells
based on the same identical 'other' cells.

When the budget gets locked down, the 84 'budget' cells should stay as
they are and never change after that. Only the 84 'actual' cells with
continue to be based on changes in the 'other' cells.

For example, both C11 (budget cell) and E11 (actual cell) are =Concept!
$AZ$18. If cell $P$7 (which is either Y for budget approved and
locked down or N for not approved) is Y, C11 should stay as it
currently is forever. Right now, it's $732,410 using the Accounting
format type.

Can C11 say something like =If($P$7="Y",make-me-what-I-am-now,Concept!
$AZ$18)?

I'm just hoping the users don't have to type over the 84 cells when
the budget gets approved.

Thanks for reading this far,

Michele
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cell doesn't change if another cell is Y, otherwise make it = a th

Michele,
most things can be done in excel but if it's a budget v actual workbook you
are developing then I suggest that you take a look at
http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html - look for article FN0005 in the
list. This is a working example of a budget v actual workbook with forecast
that you can download for free - this may give you some ideas to adapt to
your need.

Hope helpful
--
jb

"mjones" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, the "$732,410" has to be somewhere;
either in another cell or in the formula.
Without trying to follow your specific meanings,
I think either
A1: =IF(A2="Y","$732,410",A3) or
A1: =IF(A2="Y",A4,A3)
would have to work. Dave D-C