Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VLOOKUP Question

Hi,
I have a spreadsheet with random employee #'s in column A on sheet 1. On
sheet 2 I have employee #'s in column A, and employee names in column B. On
sheet 1 I want to add employee names in column B. I used the following in
code in B1, B2, & B3 respectively -
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)
=VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)

For some reason only line 1 displays the employee name. I get #N/A on lines
2 & 3 yet on sheet 2 the numbers and names are present. Can someone tell me
what I'm missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this...

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$187,2, False)

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gary M." wrote:

Hi,
I have a spreadsheet with random employee #'s in column A on sheet 1. On
sheet 2 I have employee #'s in column A, and employee names in column B. On
sheet 1 I want to add employee names in column B. I used the following in
code in B1, B2, & B3 respectively -
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)
=VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)

For some reason only line 1 displays the employee name. I get #N/A on lines
2 & 3 yet on sheet 2 the numbers and names are present. Can someone tell me
what I'm missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gary,

Use

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B187,2,FALSE) etc

Look in HELP for the meaning of the 4th argument

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Gary M." wrote in message ...
| Hi,
| I have a spreadsheet with random employee #'s in column A on sheet 1. On
| sheet 2 I have employee #'s in column A, and employee names in column B. On
| sheet 1 I want to add employee names in column B. I used the following in
| code in B1, B2, & B3 respectively -
| =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)
| =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)
| =VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A1:B187,2)
|
| For some reason only line 1 displays the employee name. I get #N/A on lines
| 2 & 3 yet on sheet 2 the numbers and names are present. Can someone tell me
| what I'm missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And if you use the $ sings like Jim suggested, tou can drag the formula down instead of having to retype it

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel