Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default search buttons please help

Can anybody help me with my problem... I really need to create a search
button whith would look like : Text Box where i can put the number, or date
or some text and next to the Text Button i would hv a Command button with
name: Search on it. So basically i will put the number or date or whatever
and than i will click on "search button" and i would find what i am looking
for is dat possible ?
I am really stupid with all those codes so can anybody put step by step 4 me?
Thank you so much
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Michael,

I'm not trying to be rude, but is there something that you want to
achieve that pressing 'Ctrl + F' doesn't already do?

Cheers,
Ivan.

On Apr 1, 11:00*pm, Michael wrote:
Can anybody help me with my problem... I really need to create a search
button whith would look like : Text Box where i can put the number, or date
or some text and next to the Text Button i would hv a Command button with
name: Search on it. So basically i will put the number or date or whatever
and than i will click on "search button" and i would find what i am looking
for is dat possible ?
I am really stupid with all those codes so can anybody put step by step 4 me?
Thank you so much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

so first of all u r not beeing rude its curiosity isnt it
second of all its database for people who dont know excel that well as i
think you do
third of all my Boss gave me that order
forth of all r u able to help me ? or should i wait for someone who knows
how to do it cuz i really need a help.
Meanwhile save ur personal comments for yourself :-) I had asked for help
not asked what i want to achieve- Are you having a bad day at work ? ;-)
Cheers,
Michael
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Apr 1, 9:34*am, Michael wrote:
so first of all u r not beeing rude its curiosity isnt it
second of all its database for people who dont know excel that well as i
think you do
third of all my Boss gave me that order
forth of all r u able to help me ? or should i wait for someone who knows
how to do it cuz i really need a help.
Meanwhile save ur personal comments for yourself :-) I had asked for help
not asked what i want to achieve- Are you having a bad day at work ? ;-)
Cheers,
Michael

"I had asked for help not asked what i want to achieve"

Here are my words of advice: don't be rude; use proper English; and be
willing to explain your end results.to someone who's willing to help
you.

Until then, use Ctrl+F like was suggested. It has a textbox and a
button and all that.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Michael,

No, work is fine... thanks for asking :). As I said, I relly wasn't
trying to make a personal comment. I know it sounded like I was but I
was simply very puzzled and I really couldn't think of another way to
ask. I sincerely do apologise.

As for your question, the following code should give a starting point:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim SearchStr As String

SearchStr = TextBox1.Text

Cells.Find(What:=SearchStr, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas,
_
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate

End Sub

This assumes you have added a form with a text box called TextBox1 and
a button called CommandButton1. If you want to use the returned range
somewhere, get rid of the ".Activate" at the end of the search bit,
and use a variable to catch the range: Set FoundRng = Cells.Find(...

Cheers,
Ivan.

On Apr 2, 12:34*am, Michael wrote:
so first of all u r not beeing rude its curiosity isnt it
second of all its database for people who dont know excel that well as i
think you do
third of all my Boss gave me that order
forth of all r u able to help me ? or should i wait for someone who knows
how to do it cuz i really need a help.
Meanwhile save ur personal comments for yourself :-) I had asked for help
not asked what i want to achieve- Are you having a bad day at work ? ;-)
Cheers,
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Michael,

It may be worth mentioning to your boss that re-inventing the wheel
isn't normally a good idea unless there really is something
specifically different that you are trying to achieve. I doubt any
code that we could write in VBA would ever be as strong and efficient
as that which is built into the program itself. For example the code
that I posted has no error checking whatsoever. To crash it, all you
would have to do is search for something that doesn't exist and you
will see what I mean. This can of course be trapped and fixed, but I'd
like to see anyone crash the built in search box. Personally I think
that teaching people 'Ctrl+F' would be easier than running to a user's
desk every time they do something you never anticipated and break your
code.

Regards,
Ivan.

On Apr 2, 1:19*am, Ivyleaf wrote:
[...]

Michael- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ivyleaf- I'm going to try that tomorow because today i have finished my
work... i hate excel even more :-) Anyway i am really appraciated for your
help i really am. Before I had gone throw everything and than i decided to
ask somebody for help. So once again thank you very much and i will write to
you tommorow letting you know if everything works. Hopfully it will ;-)
Have a lovely evening !
Michael
Btw i didnt mean to be rude
i do appologize too
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hello? How r you today ? How's everybody ? well unfortunatelly it doesn't
work. I created the blank office worksheet added my database, CommandButton,
Text box i made sure that i copied the code and paste i correct place. The
formula below doesnt work as it is red:
Cells.Find(What:=SearchStr, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas,
_
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
I dont know whats wrong ;( Im loosing my mind... My PC runs Office 2000
maybe that is why ? I assume that it doesnt matter because the code should
stay the same in upgrated version as well?! Im getting fed up of all those
codes

€žIvyleaf€ť pisze:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Michael,

If I understand you correctly and the code is showing up in red
colour, it sounds like you are just having problems with the wrapping.
Try the following with the lines shortened:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It Does work ! OMG i am so appriciated! I am so much. Thank you once again
for quick respond and nice chat ;-) So yeah it does work everything is fine-
i was so mad at Excel but its fine now. Thank you so much !!!