Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default PSERSONAL.XLS macro book

I have some very strange behaviour in my PERSONAL.XLS book (Excel 2003,
Office XP). It is normally about 1mb in size. These days whenever I do some
work on it (including DELETING lines) it will suddenly jump to over 2mb in
size for no apparent reason.

If I then copy all the modules to another workbook, delete all the PERSONAL
modules and then copy them back it goes back to it's former (or newly
reduced) size. Then after a little more work it will jump to over 2mb again,
and I have to repeat the process.

I'm trying to keep the size as slim as possible because the autosaves take
too long otherwise.

I thought that there may be some problem with the book itself so I tried to
save another file as the PERSONAL.xls. This works (don't know about any size
jumping) but the new book is always displayed as an open workbook, whereas
PERSONAL.XLS does not). Is there a way to stop this displaying or does the
original PERSONAL having some special properties?

Does anyone have any idea why the book will suddenly double in size please?
Regards, Brett
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
no special property....just hidden.
with the personal.xls workbook as the activeworkbook.....
on the menu bar...
windowhide
done.

regards
FSt1

"Brettjg" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
no i don't. sorry. i have had that problem myself from time to time and
solved it with a new file. this is a common complaint from many users and
has been posted here many time. various solutions have been posted as well.
you can do a search on the topic in this discussion group to see the various
suggested solutions.
truthfull, i think that excel has quite a number of switches in the
background, keeping track of this, that, and the other(always helpful excel)
and any one of them could cause a psudo file size increase, not just data
alone. and since we don't have privy to the internal workings of excel, it's
hard to say for sure just what caused it.

sorry. i do wish i had more help for you.

Regards
FS1

"Brettjg" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I kinda thought that would be the answer (the vagueness of excel, about which
everyone has nfi). Anyway now that I can hide the new book that will solve
the problem nicely. Thanks again for your help. Brett