Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Adding an input box to a custom toolbar

Hello

is there a way to add not a button but an input box into a custom
toolbar in excel. I would like the user to type some text in the
toolbar, press enter and a macro would launch at grab the text. I
think it is feasible, but I can't see any article/post/webpage on the
topic.

Would anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Charles
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
i know of nothing built into excel that would do that.
what i would do is put a custom icon on the toolbar to lauch the macro and
start the macro with an input box.
sub example()
dim txt as string
txt = inputbox ("enter something")
'txt would be the variable input into the inputbox.
your code here
end sub.
it would do essentially what you want except the input box wouldn't be on
the toolbar, just the custom icon that lauches the macro.

my thoughts
Regards
FSt1
"Charles" wrote:

Hello

is there a way to add not a button but an input box into a custom
toolbar in excel. I would like the user to type some text in the
toolbar, press enter and a macro would launch at grab the text. I
think it is feasible, but I can't see any article/post/webpage on the
topic.

Would anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Charles" wrote:
Hello

is there a way to add not a button but an input box into a custom
toolbar in excel. I would like the user to type some text in the
toolbar, press enter and a macro would launch at grab the text. I
think it is feasible, but I can't see any article/post/webpage on the
topic.

Would anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Charles

I've never heard of it / seen it either ... if you find anything be
sure to post it here!

(The advice from FSt1 sounds good)

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've actually been lucky:

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23224

it looks like this would work. tricky....

Public Const g_strCBRName As String = "MyCustomBar"

Sub CustomTB()

Dim cbrTemp As CommandBar
Dim objDrop As CommandBarControl

RemoveCustomTB

'Create commandbar
Set cbrTemp = Application.CommandBars.Add(g_strCBRName)

With cbrTemp
' Add control
Set objDrop = .Controls.Add(msoControlComboBox)
With objDrop
' add items
.AddItem "Andy"
.AddItem "Bob"
.AddItem "Charlie"
.OnAction = "cbrTest"
End With
' Add control textbox
Set objDrop = .Controls.Add(msoControlEdit)
With objDrop
.OnAction = "ctxTest"
End With
.Visible = True
End With

End Sub
Sub cbrTest()
MsgBox "You selected " &
Application.CommandBars(g_strCBRName).Controls(1). Text
End Sub
Sub ctxTest()
MsgBox "You entered " &
Application.CommandBars(g_strCBRName).Controls(2). Text
End Sub

Sub RemoveCustomTB()
' Try and delete commandbar
On Error Resume Next
Application.CommandBars(g_strCBRName).Delete
End Sub

Thanks
Charles