Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel created in LotusScript slow

We have a Lotus Notes application that generates all sorts of output to Excel
spreadsheets via Excel objects. Recently (in the last month or so) we have
a group of users experiencing a problem where the Excel session created by
the LotusScript code is slow to populate some cells and when the spreadsheet
is turned over to the user (visible=true), the users also experience very
slow scrolling. For example, if you hold down the mouse on the down elevator
arrow, the spreadsheet should scroll the rows by pretty fast, but we are
experiencing maybe one row per second or so. If we close the Lotus Notes
session and leave the Excel up, it's still slow.

But, (regardless of whether you close Lotus Notes or not) if you are to save
the spreadsheet, close Excel, reopen the saved spreadsheet, then the
performance in the spreadsheet it normal (and fast).

This doesn't happen to all users. Even I cannot reproduce the problem on
either of my two laptops.

The users who do experience the problem also experience the same problems
when they run the code from different variations (including test versions) of
the Lotus Notes database.

We haven't released any code changes lately.

Any ideas on where to focus the troubleshooting? The LotusScript code uses
fairly standard Excel objects (such as Workbooks.Add to establish the
worksheet) and sheet.cells calls to populate the cells. Nothing fancy.

I'm thinking there something on these laptops that are clashing with the
Excel session. These users all used to fly through the generated
spreadsheets.

Thanks in advance for any input / suggestions!