Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating and Sharing a .xla VBA Macro

I wrote a macro that will recognize eight different filenames and run
the appropriate section of code when one of those eight (Excel) files
are open. My goal is to make this macro available to a few other
users by creating a .xla file and saving it on a folder on a network
drive. I've created this add-in and placed it in the desired folder
on the network drive and I've looked over this Google group and other,
similar groups but still can't put all the pieces together to make
this available to others. I initially thought this would (should?) be
easy to do but apparently it's not. Any/all suggestions would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
Sheldon Potolsky
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why you want to store this code in an add in instead of a Workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here's hoow to make the add-in available to other users. Have them go to
Tools menu Add-Ins, click Browse, then find the add-in on the network.
Once selected, it will be checked in the list, and when you click okay it
will be installed. Any toolbars or other UI elements that it builds will be
available so the user can actually use the code.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Sheldon Potolsky" wrote in message
I wrote a macro that will recognize eight different filenames and run
the appropriate section of code when one of those eight (Excel) files
are open. My goal is to make this macro available to a few other
users by creating a .xla file and saving it on a folder on a network
drive. I've created this add-in and placed it in the desired folder
on the network drive and I've looked over this Google group and other,
similar groups but still can't put all the pieces together to make
this available to others. I initially thought this would (should?) be
easy to do but apparently it's not. Any/all suggestions would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
Sheldon Potolsky

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One problem. After creating the add-in, I tried to create a button
and assign a macro (Macros/Custom Button/Modify Selection/Assign Macro
but "Macros In" had no visibility to where I placed my .xla (add-in).
It would only allow me to look in All Open Workbooks, This Workbook or
PERSONAL.XLS. I thought I'd try to manually create a button and see
if it worked but can't figure out how to make it point to where I'd
like it.
Thanks,
Sheldon

Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Sheldon Potolsky" wrote in message

I wrote a macro that will recognize eight different filenames and run
the appropriate section of code when one of those eight (Excel) files
are open. *My goal is to make this macro available to a few other
users by creating a .xla file and saving it on a folder on a network
drive. *I've created this add-in and placed it in the desired folder
on the network drive and I've looked over this Google group and other,
similar groups but still can't put all the pieces together to make
this available to others. *I initially thought this would (should?) be
easy to do but apparently it's not. *Any/all suggestions would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
Sheldon Potolsky- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure what the best way to accomplish this but my goal is still
to make an Excel VBA module that I wrote and is in my PERSONAL.XLS,
available to a few other users. I'm open to the easiest/best way to
do this.
Thanks, Sheldon

On Mar 17, 9:50*pm, "
wrote:
Why you want to store this code in an add in instead of a Workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't try to build the toolbar manually. It will not work properly.

Here are some links that show how to build a toolbar or menu automatically
when a workbook is opened:

http://contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html

- Jon
-------