Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how do i protect one cell for write but not for select?

I need to write-protect one o more cells , but i need that this cells can be
selectec.
Because i need the activecell address for a macro.

i'll appreciate any help.
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can lock the cell (format|cells|protection tab|check locked)
then protect the worksheet (tools|Protection|Protect sheet)

If you need code for this, you can record a macro when you do it manually.

jose riu wrote:

I need to write-protect one o more cells , but i need that this cells can be
selectec.
Because i need the activecell address for a macro.

i'll appreciate any help.
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires
Argentina

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok, i did that, but i can't select the cell after the sheet is protected.
and, y need ti protect the cell for write o modify, but not for select.
this way , i can use the active cell address info, in a macro for other
function.
if you don't understand me (becuse my english is very bad), i can write it
in spanish and try to translate it to english with any utility.

thanks and regards.
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires

jose riu wrote:

I need to write-protect one o more cells , but i need that this cells can be
selectec.
Because i need the activecell address for a macro.

i'll appreciate any help.
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires
Argentina

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in xl2002+, you can protect the sheet and allow/prohibit users from selecting
cells.

Make sure that you allow the users to select what you want.

Tools|Protection|protect sheet
Allow all users of this worksheet to:
make su
Select locked cells
is checked

You may have changed it and excel will remember these settings until you change
them again.

jose riu wrote:

I need to write-protect one o more cells , but i need that this cells can be
selectec.
Because i need the activecell address for a macro.

i'll appreciate any help.
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires
Argentina

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok, again, i did that.
i know how to protect a sheet and the cells that i want .
but the problem, is the fact that i can't protect the celss for write and
allow the users select them at the same time.
if i protect the cells, i can't select them.
and if i unprotect them, i can select the cells, but the users can modify or
write on them.
that's the cuestion.
regards.
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires

jose riu wrote:

I need to write-protect one o more cells , but i need that this cells can be
selectec.
Because i need the activecell address for a macro.

i'll appreciate any help.
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires
Argentina

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What version of excel are you using?

And I'd say try it again. You should be able select a locked cell on a
protected worksheet.

jose riu wrote:

I need to write-protect one o more cells , but i need that this cells can be
selectec.
Because i need the activecell address for a macro.

i'll appreciate any help.
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires
Argentina

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i'm using excel 2003.
i do not say that you say me that i'll try again. sorry if you understand me
on the wrong sense.
i check the locked cell, and then protect the sheet with "locked cells",
only.
in this case, i can't select the locked cells, that i want.
please, correct me if i'm doing something wrong.
thanks
--
Jose Riu
Buenos Aires