Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA How to

I am a frequently user of Excel and am acquainted with the use of The Macro
Recorder and I often use the Excel built in functions as Lookup, Sumproduct,
offset etc...

I now have started to look into the VBA world of coding and want to learn
how to edit Macros and write codes on my own. But I am totally unexperienced.

How do I best approach the matter ?
Can someone examplify the steps in writing a code ?
How do I advance step by step after planning a Project involving VBA coding ?
I guess I do not have to remember all the so called objects, properties and
methodes and develop the code manually.

Let's say I want a code to take a value in Sheet 2 column A in the same row
where my cursor is placed and go to sheet 1 and put the value in cell A1. I
then can use the Macro recorder to do this. But how do I approach the project
if I want the code to take the value in sheet 2 column A in the row where my
cursor is placed (and it can be in whatever column or row in sheet 2) and put
this value in sheet 1 column A in the first free cell down the column.

This cannot be done with the Macro Recorder alone and I will have to edit
the Macro to do just what I described. But how do I do that step by step ?
What kind of help do I typically use in the process ?

I have Windows Vista and Excel 2007.

Someone ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
start here..
you will find a highly recomended book here....
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook25.htm
and there are other sources. do a google on excel tutorials.

Regards
FSt1

"tomjoe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's for Excel 2000, but the book Visual Basic for Applications Fundamentals
by Reed Jacobson, starts with editing recorded macros which is a good way to
introduce yourself to vba.

"tomjoe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 8 Mar, 14:35, tomjoe wrote:
[...]

your best bet is to go onto Amazon and buy a book on the subject.
there is a whole world of vba code writing in Excel - from moving one
number from cell to cell all the way upto creating class modules which
bind onto other applications.
best bet is to start with a book which specifically starts from
basics.
over time you will get to know the objects and things will fall into
place.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See Tushar Mehta's site for "Beyond the macro recorder"

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vb...rder/index.htm

Good tips to be found.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP