Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
tomjoe tomjoe is offline

Default VBA How to

Thank you all for your advice.

Gord, your tip especially, was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks.

Gord Dibben skrev:

See Tushar Mehta's site for "Beyond the macro recorder"

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vb...rder/index.htm

Good tips to be found.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 06:35:00 -0800, tomjoe
wrote:

I am a frequently user of Excel and am acquainted with the use of The Macro
Recorder and I often use the Excel built in functions as Lookup, Sumproduct,
offset etc...

I now have started to look into the VBA world of coding and want to learn
how to edit Macros and write codes on my own. But I am totally unexperienced.

How do I best approach the matter ?
Can someone examplify the steps in writing a code ?
How do I advance step by step after planning a Project involving VBA coding ?
I guess I do not have to remember all the so called objects, properties and
methodes and develop the code manually.

Let's say I want a code to take a value in Sheet 2 column A in the same row
where my cursor is placed and go to sheet 1 and put the value in cell A1. I
then can use the Macro recorder to do this. But how do I approach the project
if I want the code to take the value in sheet 2 column A in the row where my
cursor is placed (and it can be in whatever column or row in sheet 2) and put
this value in sheet 1 column A in the first free cell down the column.

This cannot be done with the Macro Recorder alone and I will have to edit
the Macro to do just what I described. But how do I do that step by step ?
What kind of help do I typically use in the process ?

I have Windows Vista and Excel 2007.

Someone ?