Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Compilation error in hidden module

Hi,

I recently installed some software and deinstalled it after evaluating.

Looks like this software installed a hidden module for MS Excel - and
did not properly remove it - which now causes trouble.

Each time I run Excel I get a series of error messages "System error -
unknown error" which ends in the message "Compilation error in hidden
module ThisWorkBook".

I cannot access this module because it is hidden and password protected.

This happens only for the user I used to install said software - other
users on this computer can run Excel without problem.

I'm using Excel 2000 and Windows 2000 - all service packs installed.

Does anyone have an idea how to correct the situation?

Will de-installing and re-installing Excel help?

Many Thanks

Bernd Kuerbs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you sure you uninstalled all of it?

I think I'd do some detective work to find the problem addin/workbook.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

Essentially, you'll turn off all the addins/startup workbooks and then open
excel. Make a change to the standard toolbar. And then turn on each addin
(closing and reopening) one at a time to find the culprit.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many Thanks for your help. This certainly looks like an interesting
option, but I solved my problem using the hints given by Dave Peterson
(see post below).

Regards
Bernd Kuerbs

"Bernd Kuerbs" wrote:

Hi,

I recently installed some software and deinstalled it after evaluating.

Looks like this software installed a hidden module for MS Excel - and
did not properly remove it - which now causes trouble.

Each time I run Excel I get a series of error messages "System error -
unknown error" which ends in the message "Compilation error in hidden
module ThisWorkBook".

I cannot access this module because it is hidden and password protected.

This happens only for the user I used to install said software - other
users on this computer can run Excel without problem.

I'm using Excel 2000 and Windows 2000 - all service packs installed.

Does anyone have an idea how to correct the situation?

Will de-installing and re-installing Excel help?

Many Thanks

Bernd Kuerbs

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many Thanks for these links. The tips given by Chip Pearson were very
useful: I disabled one add-in and now Excel starts without any error
message.

The add-in is a Euro-Conversion tool, I have installed for a long time.
So it looks like the software I installed, corrupted this add-in or left
some remnants which just don't co-operate with it.

Many Thanks

Bernd Kuerbs