Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Tom is offline

Default indirect address offset in array formula

When using array formulas with the above functions I got what I didn't
expect, some of them work some of them it seems don't:
1. =ADDRESS({1\2\3},{1\2\3}) works fine when array - entered in a 3-
row/1-col table, displaying as expected :A1, B2, C3
2. =INDIRECT({"a1"\"b2"\"c3"}) does not get results except ErrValue
when array - entered in a 3-row/1-col table (but analogous ADDRESS
works, so is it a matter of arguments being numerical ?) - I wolud
espeially like this form of INDIRECT to work but it does not
3. similarily when I wanted to get the diagonal of a 4x4 matrix
starting at A13 by using =OFFSET (A13;{0\1\2\3};{0\1\2\3}) array -
entered in a 4-row/1-col table I didn't get the result except ErrValue
(bad arguments ?)
So why is ADDRESS working array-entered getting array as an result and
INDIRECT and OFFSET does not get the result as an array when array-
entered. Is it a mistake of me incorrectly entering these formulas ?
Thanks for suggestions
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not answering your question(s), but is this helpful?
Assume your
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not answering your question(s), but is this helpful?
Assume your matrix is in a1:d4.
In E5 put =CHOOSE(COLUMN(E5)-COLUMN($E5)+1,$A$1,$B$2,$C$3,$D$4)
and copy to the right.
Or in E6 put =CHOOSE(ROW(E6)-ROW(E$6)+1,$A$1,$B$2,$C$3,$D$4)
and copy down. Dave D-C

Tom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Tom is offline

I entered the formulas as you suggested and it works OK, but one thing
is still disturbing to me: when using this CHOOSE function I seem to
need to manually enter all addresses of where diagonal cells are, and
the reason I wanted to somehow employ array-formula was to avoid such
manualities. As for that diagonal thing, I finally thought of an array
returning array formula which is (entered in 1row/4cols):
{=INDEX(A1:D4;COLUMN(1:4);COLUMN(1:4))} which does the job.
But still, I would like to use that tricky INDIRECT thingy as array
returning but it won't :-(

Tom