Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default security Level settings in Excel

I have a client that's using Microsoft Excel 2003 to do programming for his
group, he's encountering the default setting in
Tools---Macro---Security---Security Level. Default is "Medium", when he
sets it to 'Low', it keeps going back to "Medium"??.

We've had issues like this before in our environment (1200+) with users,
doing different manipulations of the product (Excel) for their group (s). How
can we (Desktop Support) make and/or change "Default-Medium"?. I know, this
not the norman for the Mfg/Microsoft, to make changes such as this request if
they haved heard of it before. I thank you in advance.

Much regards,
Jules Sainte/Dsktp Spprt
Siemens IT Solutions
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I guess thats problem came from the user setting perhaps not administrator
that caused unstable changing in security value.

you can try bypass it by using regedit command:
open this key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Security
then change Level value to:
1 -- Low
2 -- Medium
3 -- High
4 -- Very high (Excel 10 and later) CMIIW

Halim

"Jules Sainte" wrote:

I have a client that's using Microsoft Excel 2003 to do programming for his
group, he's encountering the default setting in
Tools---Macro---Security---Security Level. Default is "Medium", when he
sets it to 'Low', it keeps going back to "Medium"??.

We've had issues like this before in our environment (1200+) with users,
doing different manipulations of the product (Excel) for their group (s). How
can we (Desktop Support) make and/or change "Default-Medium"?. I know, this
not the norman for the Mfg/Microsoft, to make changes such as this request if
they haved heard of it before. I thank you in advance.

Much regards,
Jules Sainte/Dsktp Spprt
Siemens IT Solutions

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you were interested... here is a version independent VB Script that you
can run to alter these settings:

Option Explicit
Dim objShell, RegLocate, myVersion, objExcel
Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
myVersion = objExcel.Version
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
On Error Resume Next
RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\" & myVersion &
"\Excel\Security\Level"
objShell.RegWrite RegLocate,"1","REG_DWORD" ' 1 for LOW, 2 for MEDIUM, 3
for HIGH
objExcel.Quit
WScript.Quit

Also, Jon Peltier had posted some other information on this topic as well.
Here is the information he posted on this topic (see the correspondences
below):