Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default cell data

Hi to all.

I need some help with exporting excel data to text file, I have data in
cells, I have a code for only returning max of 12 characters, this is fine
and working, but the cells that have below 12 characters I need these cells
to padded out with spaces so that when I export to a text file it looks like
columns in the text file.

Can anyone help me with this

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the macro code (you are using a macro, right?) that is now returning your
max of 12 characters, replace whatever is doing the truncating (it should be
using the Left function) with the code line Lazzzx gave you (substituting
the variable name or cell value reference used in your current formula for
the myString example variable Lazzzx gave you; assigning it to whatever
variable you are currently assigning it to).

Usually if you are going to refer to code (or a formula on the spreadsheet
side of things), it is a good idea to post that code (or formula) rather
than make an off-hand reference to it; that way, we can post the
modification to it instead of giving a general example for you to try and
implement.

Rick

"Lazzzx" wrote:

myString = Left(myString & Space(12), 12)

"santaviga" skrev i meddelelsen
Hi to all.

I need some help with exporting excel data to text file, I have data in
cells, I have a code for only returning max of 12 characters, this is
fine
and working, but the cells that have below 12 characters I need these
cells
to padded out with spaces so that when I export to a text file it looks
like
columns in the text file.

Can anyone help me with this

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I figured you were using a macro because you said you have "code" (a
formula, assuming that is what you meant, is not code) and you posted your
question in a programming newsgroup. Anyway, referencing my last paragraph
for emphasis... how are you now returning your maximum of 12 characters
(that is, what is the "code" or formula being used)?

Rick

"Lazzzx" wrote:

myString = Left(myString & Space(12), 12)

"santaviga" skrev i meddelelsen
Hi to all.

I need some help with exporting excel data to text file, I have data
in
cells, I have a code for only returning max of 12 characters, this
is
fine
and working, but the cells that have below 12 characters I need
these
cells
to padded out with spaces so that when I export to a text file it
looks
like
columns in the text file.

Can anyone help me with this

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The formula i'm using is the following:

=LEFT(Sheet1!A1,12)

This returns the text in that cell to a max of 12, but I need this to pan
out to 12 characters if this cell only contains 5 characters so it will be
placed in a text file as if in colums.

Regards

"Lazzzx" wrote:

myString = Left(myString & Space(12), 12)

"santaviga" skrev i meddelelsen
Hi to all.

I need some help with exporting excel data to text file, I have data
in
cells, I have a code for only returning max of 12 characters, this
is
fine
and working, but the cells that have below 12 characters I need
these
cells
to padded out with spaces so that when I export to a text file it
looks
like
columns in the text file.

Can anyone help me with this

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming you want the padding on the right, try using this instead...

=LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",12),12)

If you want the padding on the left (as maybe for numbers), then you would
use this formula...

=RIGHT(REPT(" ",12)&A1,12)

Rick

"Lazzzx" wrote:

myString = Left(myString & Space(12), 12)

"santaviga" skrev i
meddelelsen
Hi to all.

I need some help with exporting excel data to text file, I have
data
in
cells, I have a code for only returning max of 12 characters,
this
is
fine
and working, but the cells that have below 12 characters I need
these
cells
to padded out with spaces so that when I export to a text file it
looks
like
columns in the text file.

Can anyone help me with this

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick,

If I were to put this into a macro so it will do what i require with that,
how would the code be written. Any ideas.

Regards

"Lazzzx" wrote:

myString = Left(myString & Space(12), 12)

"santaviga" skrev i
meddelelsen
Hi to all.

I need some help with exporting excel data to text file, I have
data
in
cells, I have a code for only returning max of 12 characters,
this
is
fine
and working, but the cells that have below 12 characters I need
these
cells
to padded out with spaces so that when I export to a text file it
looks
like
columns in the text file.

Can anyone help me with this

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, it depends on what exactly you want macro to do. Do you want to put
the entries from one column into another the way your formula does now? Do
you physically modify the entry right there within the cell the entry is
placed in? If the latter, do want this to happen at the time the entry is
typed in? Is the entry even being typed in or is it the result of a formula?
Something else maybe?

Rick

"Lazzzx" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Well what I require is that I have data in a number of cells in a workbook,
and what I need it for that data to be exported when I want to a text file
for report issues. The data has to be exported in its columns to a max of 12
characters but if there is less than 12 charcters in a cell this needs to be
padded out so that it look s like its in columns and systematic to read in a
text file. Looks like below.

data data data data
data data data data

it must be displayed like this in the text file and so on

it works with the code you gave me last night as a formula but I would like
to try as a macro.

Regards