Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do i find specific data in a cell and its colocated cell data

I'm trying to find specific data in a cell and then display that data and its
colocated data in two adjoining cells in the same row.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you mean "locate data from a cell in another column of data and when
found, return matching data from an adjacent column in the same row?"

If so, you can use LOOKUP if the data is ordered and sequential, or VLOOKUP
if it is not and the adjacent cells are to the right.

Best function is INDEX/MATCH because it will match anything and return data
from any direction.

--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"sfself" wrote:

I'm trying to find specific data in a cell and then display that data and its
colocated data in two adjoining cells in the same row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Why don't you show an example of the the data and result you want, because
if the data cells you are searching are on row 1 and you want the matching
data on row 2, you need a different formula than if the search cells are in
column B and the values you want returned are in column A. Also if you are
searching for the a cell containing the text X in a cell containing something
like ABXCD then the approach will be different. If you are trying for and
exact match or just an approximate match the technique will be different. If
you are trying to do a case sensitive search then yet different issues must
be handled.

You could use VLOOKUP, LOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH with INDEX or OFFSET and
possibly many other approachs.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"sfself" wrote:

I'm trying to find specific data in a cell and then display that data and its
colocated data in two adjoining cells in the same row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do i find specific data in a cell and its colocated cell d

A B C
2234 SICK 9
4495 VAC 8

I need to find exact number in column A and its corresponding values in B
and C

"sfself" wrote:

I'm trying to find specific data in a cell and then display that data and its
colocated data in two adjoining cells in the same row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes.. example:

A B C
1234 vac 8
3345 sick 4.5

I used lookup but had a formula for both B and C. I thought there might be
a way to do it with one formula. I wrote: =LOOKUP(C399,$C$2:$C$390,E2:E390)
where
C399 is where I input a value for A, c2:c390 is the range for the input to
lookup, and E2:E390 is the range to lookup B. there is a similar formula to
find C