Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Delete Rows based on cell value

Hi. I'm trying to create a macro that will delete rows where the
value in column E does not equal "ABC". I always have a different
number of rows of data so I can't use a fixed range. Also, rows 1-5
are my header rows so I don't want to touch them--so the macro should
start looking at column E in row 6 and continue until it hits a row
where column E is blank. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could do following:

Sub DelRows()

Dim SH As Worksheet

Set SH = Worksheets("sheet1")

For i = SH.Cells(65536, 5).End(xlUp).Row To 6 Step -1
If LCase(SH.Cells(i, 5).Value) < "abc" Then
SH.Rows(i).Delete
End If
Next i

End Sub

hth
Carlo

On Jan 17, 10:19*am, wrote:
Hi. *I'm trying to create a macro that will delete rows where the
value in column E does not equal "ABC". *I always have a different
number of rows of data so I can't use a fixed range. *Also, rows 1-5
are my header rows so I don't want to touch them--so the macro should
start looking at column E in row 6 and continue until it hits a row
where column E is blank. *Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jan 17, 10:19 am, wrote:

Hi. I'm trying to create a macro that will delete rows where the
value in column E does not equal "ABC". I always have a different
number of rows of data so I can't use a fixed range. Also, rows 1-5
are my header rows so I don't want to touch them--so the macro should
start looking at column E in row 6 and continue until it hits a row
where column E is blank. Thanks in advance.

For some reason that deleted ALL the rows including those with "ABC"
in column E. (It didn't delete the header rows though, which is good.)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

that's weird.

what exactly do you look for?
is it really "ABC" or something else?
Right now i check if the lowercase of this cell is not equal "abc" so
if you have a space or something in it, it would delete it as well.

Carlo

On Jan 17, 10:19 am, wrote:

Hi. *I'm trying to create a macro that will delete rows where the
value in column E does not equal "ABC". *I always have a different
number of rows of data so I can't use a fixed range. *Also, rows 1-5
are my header rows so I don't want to touch them--so the macro should
start looking at column E in row 6 and continue until it hits a row
where column E is blank. *Thanks in advance.

For some reason that deleted ALL the rows including those with "ABC"
in column E. *(It didn't delete the header rows though, which is good.)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jan 17, 10:19 am, wrote:

Hi. I'm trying to create a macro that will delete rows where the
value in column E does not equal "ABC". I always have a different
number of rows of data so I can't use a fixed range. Also, rows 1-5
are my header rows so I don't want to touch them--so the macro should
start looking at column E in row 6 and continue until it hits a row
where column E is blank. Thanks in advance.

For some reason that deleted ALL the rows including those with "ABC"
in column E. (It didn't delete the header rows though, which is good.)- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I am actually looking for "ABC" (This is for a list of TV shows
with each show getting a row. Column E is the network for each show
and I want to eliminate those on all networks except ABC. I'll also
use this to eliminate all but those on FOX, etc. but I figured I could
just swap out the network name in the macro.)

One thing I'm confused about (and I'm relatively inexperienced in
dealing with macros) is that the macro you wrote doesn't seem to
mention column E anywhere--is that correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Brian

Ok....just wanted to make sure.
For your question about column E, you're right it doesn't say E,
because i use the columnNumber 5 (in rows 3 and 4) which works the
same way.

Try this macro and tell me, what output you get in the immediate
Window (if you don't see it, press Ctrl + G)

Sub DelRows()

Dim SH As Worksheet

Set SH = Worksheets("sheet1")

For i = SH.Cells(65536, 5).End(xlUp).Row To 6 Step -1
Debug.print SH.cells(i,5).value, LCase(SH.Cells(i, 5).Value) <
"abc"
If LCase(SH.Cells(i, 5).Value) < "abc" Then
SH.Rows(i).Delete
End If
Next i

End Sub

Is there a possibility of a space in front or after "ABC"?

Carlo

On Jan 17, 10:19 am, wrote:

[...]

mention column E anywhere--is that correct?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jan 17, 10:19 am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks Carlo. That actually didn't work for me either. I can't
figure out exactly what's going wrong. I think I've found a way to
handle this using autofilter though. Thanks for all your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jan 17, 10:19 am, wrote:

[...]

handle this using autofilter though. *Thanks for all your help.- Hide quoted text -

Well....i didn't change the code...i just wanted to see what the
output would be.
But if you can do it with autofilter, no problem.

Cheers
Carlo