Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Zak Zak is offline

Default Combining multiple IF statements

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

there is no limitation to the number or types of IF statements that can be
put into a macro.. You just have to be smart and make sure there are no
conflicts between the IFs

For example, if the first IF deletes columns J,K,L then a second IF must
cosider two cases. First case, when the first IF did delete the columns and
the second case where the first IF did not delete the columns.

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Zak Zak is offline

Please can you start me off please? The below are 3 of my conditions, as
evident below the first one asks it to find a word then change the
corresponding cell in the next column to a given word. The second and third
tells it to to delete certain lines but both refering to different columns..

I am just unsure of the syntax and how i should combine them and specify
each time i want it to look at a different column. Please can you combine
these 3 so that i can get some sort of idea as to how to word things then i
can add the other few in myself.

thanks a lot

my code:

code 1:

Sub Replace1()
Dim r As Range
Dim srng As Range
Set srng = Range("I1", Range("I" & Rows.Count). _
End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
For Each r In srng
If r.Value = "Capula" Then
r.Offset(0, 1).Value = "AP"
Else
If r.Value = "Microsoft" Then
r.Offset(0, 1).Value = "AP"
Else
If r.Value = "iSOFT" Then
r.Offset(0, 1).Value = "AP"
Else
If r.Value = "System C" Then
r.Offset(0, 1).Value = "AP"

code 2:

Sub dr()
mc = "I"
For i = Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
If Cells(i, mc) = "AMS Subcon" _
Or Cells(i, mc) = "Red Tray" Then Rows(i).delete
Next i
If Cells(i, mc) = "Microsoft" _
Or Cells(i, mc) = "iSOFT" Then Rows(i).delete
End Sub

code 3:

Sub DeleteRowsbyDate()
For Each cll In Range([x1], [x1].End(xlDown))
If IsDate(cll) And cll Now() Then _
cll.EntireRow.delete
Next
End Sub

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Zak,

I wouldn't do it like that, I'd use select case, you can add addiotinal
cases, Try this

Sub Replace1()
Dim r As Range
Dim srng As Range
Set srng = Range("I1", Range("I" & Rows.Count). _
End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
For Each r In srng

Select Case r.Value
Case "Capula"
myvalue = "AP"
Case "Microsoft"
myvalue = "AP"
Case "iSoft"
myvalue = "AP"
End Select

r.Offset(0, 1).Value = myvalue

Next
End Sub

Mike

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The first macro I didn't see any problems. I changed the code to use Select
Case because it is easier to read.

The problem with delete rows is yo have to start with the last row and move
up otherwise the code doesn't make sense. Using a For Each with a range
doesn't ensure that the cells are removed in the correct order. It somehow
confuses Excel. Using a RowcCount like I did solves this problem. Your
second code should of worked also except the second If statement is outside
the FOR loop. I like Select Case so I chnae the code although it is not
neessary.

The 3rd macro should be written like the first two using a row counter
instead of a Range becuase of the delete row.

Sub Replace1()
Dim r As Range
Dim srng As Range
Set srng = Range("I1", Range("I" & Rows.Count). _
End(xlUp)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues)
For Each r In srng
Select Case r.Value
Case "Capula", "Microsoft", "iSOFT", "System C"
r.Offset(0, 1).Value = "AP"
End Select
Next r
End Sub
Sub dr()
mc = "I"
For RowCount = Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
Select Case Range(mc & RowCount).Value
Case "AMS Subcon", "Red Tray", "Microsoft", "iSOFT"
Rows(i).Delete
End Select
End Sub
Sub DeleteRowsbyDate()
Lastrow = [x1].End(xlDown).Row
For RowCount = Lastrow To 1 Step -1
If IsDate(Range("C" & RowCount)) And _
Range("C" & RowCount) Now() Then _

cll.EntireRow.Delete
End If
Next
End Sub

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Zak Zak is offline

I understand what you are saying and even tried inputting the code you gave
but it still doesnt do want i want it to. I want the codes to execute in
sequence one after the other instead excel recognises it as 3 different
macros as opposed to 1 macro. how do i tell excel that i want them as part of
1 macro?.. i also have an additional few conditions to put in. will excel
allow all 9 to run as part of 1 macro or would i need more than 1 macro?

thanks so much.

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Zak Zak is offline

yes, this is a much better way i will do this.. but this only states if the
range is I, i now want the macro to do exactly the same thing i.e. change the
name of something but this time i want it to locate something in column J and
replace it with something else in J.

example, find "account" in J and change to "others" in J. can this be
inserted within the same string of code as below? where do i insert a line or
something to mention that i now want it to look in J to do something in J.

on the same note, i have a 'delete.rows' code but i want rows deleted in 3
different columns depending on different criteria, how do i stop and tell
excel when to look in column B then E then I etc. hope im making sense!

example, i want it to find "21 India" in column B and delete. then i want it
to find "microsfot" in I and delete that. i suppose i can group them in terms
of columns so that all the things that need to be deleted in column B are
togther and I are together etc.

thanks.

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the problem is when the different IF are not independant. for example the
2nd and 3rd macros delete rows. Look at the new code I wrote below to
combine these two macros. I said you have to understand where there may be
conflicts between IF conditions and where ther aren't conflicts. Changing
data in certain cells probably isn't a conflict.

Sub dr()
mc = "I"
For RowCount = Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
DeleteRow = False
Select Case Range(mc & RowCount).Value
Case "AMS Subcon", "Red Tray", "Microsoft", "iSOFT"
DeleteRow = True
End Select
If IsDate(Range("C" & RowCount)) And _
Range("C" & RowCount) Now() Then _

DeleteRow = True
End If

If DeleteRow = True Then
Rows(RowCount).Delete
End If
Next RowCount
End Sub

or use an else

Sub dr2()

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Zak Zak is offline

I used the second code that you gave me as that made more sense to me but
only the one part of the code executed, the date condition didnt work! why
would that be?

Also, within this same macro id like to add many additional statements like
i said earlier, how do i keep stating when the column ref changes?

for example, within the one you wrote id like to add another delete
condition but this time it is something in column B and another thing is
column E.

thanks.

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Usually date will not work if the cells are not in date format. Highligh one
of the date cells and go to worksheet menu Format - Number and see what
format the cells are using (should be highlight in pop up). You can change
tthe format of the cells to a data format to get code to work. Ofr

From
Range("C" & RowCount)
datevalue(Range("C" & RowCount))

It is also possible that none of the dates are after Now() or the rows that
are being checked are the wrong rows. The rows are checking the number of
rows in column I and the dates are in column C.

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Zak Zak is offline

That has worked now, i dont know what i was doing wrong before! please can
you refer to my other question as to how to make reference to more IF
statements within the same macro that use a differnt sort of condition (that
wont be conflicting) and use a different column.

I dont really understand the logic behind the code and how you put the "c"
for column c where you did and the "I" for column I where you did. if i
understood that i would be able to put in new column reference and new
conditions but dont know where to start.

please, i need some urgent help on this.

thanks so much, appreciate all your help.

"Zak" wrote:

I have 9 different IF statements that need to be put into the same macro.
Some of these conditions are to delete something that meets a criteria, some
replace words with something else etc.

Will excel 2003 allow the combining of IF statements of different kinds?
(the statements do different things and refer to different columns etc)? I've
been told i have to use the word IF's rather than IF, i dont have a clue
where to start!

please help. thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First, I copied items from your original code.

I first explain strings and variables

Items in double quotes are strings such as "Microsoft". You can replace a
string with a vairable.

if Range("A1") = "Microsoft" then

is equivalent to

MyItem = "Microsoft"
if Range("A1") = Item then

The replacement of "I" with mc in your code is equivalent to the code above.

second, you can replace a cell range with a string and a vvariable

Range("A23")
is equal to

MyCol = A
Myrow = 23
Range("MyCol & Myrow)

or
Myrow = 23
Range("A" & Myrow)

I can't really fully answer your question when If statements are going to
cause conflicts because there are too many cases. Where you had two
diffferent case of deleting a row that caused a conflict. For example

sub Test()
For RowCount = 1 to 100

if Range("A" & RowCount) = "Microsoft" then
rows(RowCount).delete
end if

if Range("A" & RowCount) = "Adobe" then
rows(RowCount).delete
end if

next rowCount
end test

In the above example if row 10 and 11 both contained Microsoft the code
wouldn't work. The 1st If would delete row 10. Now row 11 becomes row 10.
the new row 10 would check the 2nd IF for Adobe and then the row would
increase. the new row 10 would never get checked for Microsoft. That is why
when deleting rows you usally step negatively.

You could write the same code correctly like this. I used a variable
DeleteRow to indicate when a row n eeded to be deleted. Then performed the
delete at the end of the code so I got only one delete

sub Test()
RowCount = 1
Do while RowCount <= 100

DeleteRow = False

if Range("A" & RowCount) = "Microsoft" then
end if

if Range("A" & RowCount) = "Adobe" then
DeleteRow = true
end if