Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Automatically extracting unique values

We need to extract the unique values from a range and have them copied to
another range. However, we are looking for a solution that will
transparently keep the unique destination range values updated as the source
range values change. Is this possible?

Is there some formula or array formula that will extract the unique values
from another range and keep them updated as they change? If not, is there a
simple macro that could perform the job and be automatically triggered by
cell edits to the source range?

Our goal is to extract the unique account numbers from a large list of
transactions and then summarize the transaction subtotals for any given
account number. We are open to any ideas, thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:18:12 -0700, "Blue Max" wrote:

We need to extract the unique values from a range and have them copied to
another range. However, we are looking for a solution that will
transparently keep the unique destination range values updated as the source
range values change. Is this possible?

Is there some formula or array formula that will extract the unique values
from another range and keep them updated as they change? If not, is there a
simple macro that could perform the job and be automatically triggered by
cell edits to the source range?

Our goal is to extract the unique account numbers from a large list of
transactions and then summarize the transaction subtotals for any given
account number. We are open to any ideas, thank you.

You could download and install Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in from
http://xcell05.free.fr/english/index.html

Then you can use this formula:

=INDEX(UNIQUEVALUES(Source_range,1),ROWS($1:1))

and then fill down as far (or further) than necessary.

You can then use a SUMIF using the above cell for the criteria to get your
subtotals.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you, Ron, this looks like a very promising solution. However, I am
surprised that Microsoft has not provided a standard function of this
nature. The function has many common uses in data analysis including data
summarization, statistics, accounting, etcetera.

Thank You

**************
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:39:03 -0700, "Blue Max" wrote:

Thank you, Ron, this looks like a very promising solution. However, I am
surprised that Microsoft has not provided a standard function of this
nature. The function has many common uses in data analysis including data
summarization, statistics, accounting, etcetera.

There are other solutions possible.

There are complex formulas which can extract unique values from a list, but, so
long as your strings are <256 characters, Longre's solution is simpler to
implement.

You could also set up a Pivot Table, but to make it completely automatic, you
would also need to set up an event-triggered macro to refresh the pivot table
when ever the source data changes.

Best,
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming, microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 13, 1:44 am, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:39:03 -0700, "Blue Max" wrote:
Thank you, Ron, this looks like a very promising solution. However, I am
surprised that Microsoft has not provided a standard function of this
nature. The function has many common uses in data analysis including data
summarization, statistics, accounting, etcetera.

There are other solutions possible.

There are complex formulas which can extract unique values from a list, but, so
long as your strings are <256 characters, Longre's solution is simpler to
implement.

You could also set up a Pivot Table, but to make it completely automatic, you
would also need to set up an event-triggered macro to refresh the pivot table
when ever the source data changes.

Best,
--ron

Hi,

I have downloaded this extra functions package. I want to display
unique values in the drop down list. But when I use UNIQUEVALUES()
function in the data validation it gives me error "You may not use
references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation
criteria."

Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:53:10 -0800 (PST), ravisagar
wrote:

Hi,

I have downloaded this extra functions package. I want to display
unique values in the drop down list. But when I use UNIQUEVALUES()
function in the data validation it gives me error "You may not use
references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation
criteria."

Help!!

That is a limitation of both data validation as well as conditional formatting.

However, you can set up your list on your worksheet (in some hidden area,
perhaps), using the UNIQUEVALUES function, and then refer to that list as the
Source in your Data Validation settings.
--ron