Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Blank cells & formula cells

Excel XP & Win XP
Say I have a column of 20 contiguous cells.
All 20 cells have formulas.
The top X number of cells have values, by formulas.
The rest of the cells have blanks, by formulas.
Short of looping up the column looking for (NOT ""), is there a
better/quicker way of finding the last value cell?
Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Very similar to the expression in the worksheet:

Sub ordinate()
Set r = Range("A1:A20")
MsgBox (Application.WorksheetFunction.Lookup(9.9999999999 9999E+307, r))
End Sub

will output the value of the last non-blank numeric cell in A1 thru A20
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200764

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Excel XP & Win XP
Say I have a column of 20 contiguous cells.
All 20 cells have formulas.
The top X number of cells have values, by formulas.
The rest of the cells have blanks, by formulas.
Short of looping up the column looking for (NOT ""), is there a
better/quicker way of finding the last value cell?
Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for responding. Your solution is good for finding the value of the
last cell that has a value, but I am looking to find that cell, not its
value. Thanks again. Otto

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Excel XP & Win XP
Say I have a column of 20 contiguous cells.
All 20 cells have formulas.
The top X number of cells have values, by formulas.
The rest of the cells have blanks, by formulas.
Short of looping up the column looking for (NOT ""), is there a
better/quicker way of finding the last value cell?
Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Switch to Match from lookup...

Sub test()
MsgBox (Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(9.999E+307, Columns("A")))
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Excel XP & Win XP
Say I have a column of 20 contiguous cells.
All 20 cells have formulas.
The top X number of cells have values, by formulas.
The rest of the cells have blanks, by formulas.
Short of looping up the column looking for (NOT ""), is there a
better/quicker way of finding the last value cell?
Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim
Thanks for that, but I'm not looking for the last cell that has a
number. I'm looking for the last non-blank cell in a range in which all
cells have a formula. In my case, all non-blank cells have a name. Thanks
again. Otto

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Excel XP & Win XP
Say I have a column of 20 contiguous cells.
All 20 cells have formulas.
The top X number of cells have values, by formulas.
The rest of the cells have blanks, by formulas.
Short of looping up the column looking for (NOT ""), is there a
better/quicker way of finding the last value cell?
Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Give this a look... there is some code at the end that you might be able to
use...

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html#vba
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Excel XP & Win XP
Say I have a column of 20 contiguous cells.
All 20 cells have formulas.
The top X number of cells have values, by formulas.
The rest of the cells have blanks, by formulas.
Short of looping up the column looking for (NOT ""), is there a
better/quicker way of finding the last value cell?
Thanks for your time. Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim
Playing around with this problem I came up with the following. From
what I can see, this is doing what I want. Does anything about this jump
out at you as a problem? All the cells in the range contain a formula but
only some result in a value. I appreciate your help and your time. Otto
Sub TestFind()
Dim TheRng As Range
Dim TheCell As Range
Set TheRng = Range("W6:W25")
Set TheCell = TheRng.Find(What:="*", After:=TheRng(1),
LookIn:=xlValues, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious)
MsgBox TheCell.Address(0, 0)
End Sub