Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Printing envelopes based on Excel table contents

Hello,
I am making an Excel database of all my friends and family so that
next Christmas I won't have to go find all of their addresses again.
I would like to figure out how to put a "print envelope" VBA button on
my Excel page. The button would take the appropriate cell values and
print them onto an envelope. Can anyone explain how to do this?

thanks,

Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

MSWord has this kind of printing (of envelopes) built-in.

(saved from a previous post)

You may find that using excel for your data and MSWord for your invoice looks
prettier.

You may want to read some tips for mailmerge.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge

The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave
Rado.

And just in case you have text that needs to be formatted (percentages, for
example):

Debra Dalgleish posted this:

There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you:

Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...164951033.aspx

And if you prefer the old Mail Merge helper, Word MVP Suzanne Barnhill
has instructions he

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

about half way down the page.

==========
I often cheat instead of racking my brain.

I'll insert another column (probably hidden!) and use:
=text(a2,"00000")
(or whatever format I want)
and use that field in the mailmerge.

(Cheating doesn't bother me anymore <vbg.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can make your database, make an envelope page that will print properly
on YOUR printer. Then use a for/next macro to put each data field in the
right cell on the envelope page and then print it. Something like:

ADDRESSEE = Application.Proper(Title + FirstName + LastName)
[envelope!c6] = ADDRESSEE
[envelope!c7] = ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3)
[envelope!c8] = ActiveCell.Offset(0, 4)
[envelope!c9] = ActiveCell.Offset(0, 5)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Andrew" wrote in message
Hello,
I am making an Excel database of all my friends and family so that
next Christmas I won't have to go find all of their addresses again.
I would like to figure out how to put a "print envelope" VBA button on
my Excel page. The button would take the appropriate cell values and
print them onto an envelope. Can anyone explain how to do this?

thanks,

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Andrew

Excel alone is poorly suited for this task.

Word is much better for labels and envelopes using Excel as the source for the
labels.

Assuming you are using Word for the mailmerge and Excel for the source see these
sites for help.

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...AMailMerge.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 07:48:02 -0800 (PST), Andrew
wrote:

Hello,
I am making an Excel database of all my friends and family so that
next Christmas I won't have to go find all of their addresses again.
I would like to figure out how to put a "print envelope" VBA button on
my Excel page. The button would take the appropriate cell values and
print them onto an envelope. Can anyone explain how to do this?

thanks,

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I used to do this also, but Excel is a rather clumsy application for this
task. I now store the table of addresses in Access and use Word to print
mailing labels, 30 per sheet. I stopped printing directly on envelopes
because the Christmas cards that I bought every year always seemed to be a
slightly different size than the ones I had last year. Printing labels
saves having to readjust the print margins each year.

Bill Renaud