Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default import excel file to access but only new data

I have a test log file that is generated daily in excel. I need to take that
to excel and import it into access. I can do this fine but i have to import
all of it and it is about a 4meg file. i would like to look at the access
table and only save the data is new for importing. can anyone give me some
idea on how to do this? The tables contain dates, serial numbers, etc.

right now i am sorting the excel file by the date column and deleting
everything before 8-1-07. this at least makes a smaller file and a faster
import. is there another way to do this or will checking access for data, and
going back to excel take the same amount of time?

The goal is to import as fast as possible with a reasonalbly small file size.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think yuor process is good, you just need some automation of the process by
using a macro. I think you will need a input box asking when the last data
of the import occured so you can filter the old data.

You have a number of ways of filtering the data by date. I assume the input
file is a text file which could be CSV or some other sttatndard formated text
file
1) Write a macro the opens the text file and reads into excel only the data
after a certain date
2) wirte a macro the inports the entire text file, sorts the file, and
deletes the row before the selected date.

If you post the text file data (I would only need a small number of rows) I
can write the macro to filter the data.