Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default User Defined Function Opens Improperly

I wrote a couple of functions with data links to a second workbook.

The data workbook is already open when I open the workbook with the
functions. However the cells containing the functions open up the
"####" error designator, not the function return value. When I open
the function dialog box attached to a cell, I can see that it
calculates properly and the return value is correct. And I can repair
the problem by simply closing the dialog box by clicking OK.

Any ideas on how to prevent the fault from appearing at all?

Thanks Much,

SteveM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"SteveM" wrote in message

I wrote a couple of functions with data links to a second workbook.

The data workbook is already open when I open the workbook with the
functions. However the cells containing the functions open up the
"####" error designator, not the function return value. When I open
the function dialog box attached to a cell, I can see that it
calculates properly and the return value is correct. And I can repair
the problem by simply closing the dialog box by clicking OK.

Any ideas on how to prevent the fault from appearing at all?

Thanks Much,

SteveM

That's not it. If I widen the column the #### changes to this:

First the #Name? error designator appears for a moment then changes to
the #Value! designator. Which I can repair by opening and closing the
associated dialog box for just one cell. I can drag the repaired cell
down the column to repair the other cells with the same formula.

So it must be a lag linking up with the data source. But if it is, I
don't know how to fix it. So any suggestions are appreciated.

SteveM